View Full Version : Average Life?

RedneckDaveAb
06-23-2006, 08:38 PM
How long do discus typically live????

Dave :)

danoinalaska
06-23-2006, 11:40 PM
Hi Dave,
Discus should live for about 10 years if they have proper care, good food and good genetics. Average lifespan,,,you would have to see replys on this or other forums to judge that. Hopefully more people will chime in here. The oldest discus I have owned was a standard Turquoise. He hit 9 and a half years before I put him down,,,I think his immune system was failing and he started developing tumors the last month or so. I did not expect him to recover.
Dan

lhforbes12
06-24-2006, 01:26 AM
I think Dan pretty much hit it. The average age is probably 5-7 years though.

ShinShin
06-24-2006, 10:29 AM
With proper care and diet, a discus ought to live beyond 10-12 years. 15 years is the oldest I have ever heard of a discus living. I had one male 9+ years and still making babies when I traded him off. That fish was never sick a day or treated with any meds.

I was surprised at a thread awhile back similar to this when it was noted by many that they thought the life span of a discus was anywhere between 4-7 years. I am convinced that those who keep discus for that period of time and have them die, it is due to stresses forced upon the discus. I think that this is the long term effect of improper water parameters, overmedication, and improper diet. Since most don't keep a particular number of discus for more than a few years as a general practice (myself included), the long term effects of water, diet, and medications are seldom seen.

Mat

Squiggy
06-24-2006, 11:30 AM
I once had a discus that out-lived me....:crazy:

Had another that just wouldn't die....so...I shot it...

Now it looks like a donut swimming around in the tank....:bandana: