PDA

View Full Version : Discus Foods

BobB
06-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Has anyone fed frozen clams or other saltwater fish foods to discus.

ShinShin
06-24-2006, 09:12 PM
I've used seafood mixes containing clams, mussels, squid, octopus, tuna, salmon, white meat fish from the North Pacific, and shrimp.

Mat

BobB
06-24-2006, 10:43 PM
I was thinking of getting some tuna packed in water and possibly salmon or other fish and making up some foods for them. Mine will not touch dry foods of any kind.

ShinShin
06-24-2006, 11:08 PM
It is not recommended to feed canned tuna as it is steam cooked. Use raw tuna, blood tuna if you can find it. Same with salmon.

Mat

Giniel
07-02-2006, 03:49 AM
Could you use bass , brim ,and catfish etc as a discus food?? Just curious!!

If so what do you think the protien % would be??

Debbie

gators111
07-20-2006, 03:49 PM
My cardinals go crazy for snow crab bits and the discus eat some as well.

yeomans
07-21-2006, 11:31 AM
I heard before that someone had fed cod fish to thier discus, anybody have a similar experiance?

Graham
07-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Actually there should be no problem feeding fresh shellfish, or seafood to freshwater fish. I make up a paste with just about anything on the seafood counter for both the Africans and the koi. Prawns are minced shell and all......whole fish are left just as that..whole and minced The guts and head of shellfish and fish has just as much nutrient, if not more than the body does.

The koi part of it has a little more ''meat'' in it, as in beef heart, where as the African mix will have a little more greens in it....both kinds of fish will come out of the water for it.

I use seaweed or kelp powder, spirulina, and wheat germ to bind it together. If it's too dry I use orange juice with Vitamin C to wetten it up..........

The whole thing is held together with knox gelatin powder.

Needless to say feed sparingly as it can foul a tank or a pond quickly

raglanroad
07-23-2006, 03:53 AM
apparently the amino acid profile is a good indicator of nutrient value.
regular supermarket herring, and menhaden ( a related type of herring, are near the top for fish meal.

pcsb23
07-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Bob,

I use a commercially available seafood mix, mainly of shellfish, which I feed to my discus. Some take it well and some don't :) I originally got the mix as I kept a reef tank, but the discus ate it better than the reef fish did! Personally think its better to feed fish based foods, like has been mentioned before the protein profile is better suited, not that I am a fish nutritionist in any way :)

ShinShin
07-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Giniel,

Freshwater fish will pass on any parasites it will have to the discus. It is not recommeded.

Mat