PDA

View Full Version : Spawning in the wild ?

Ed13
06-25-2006, 12:04 AM
I often watch the different networks that focus on animals. Paying close attention to programing schedules on Amazon documentaries I've seen Discus in very large schools, tetras and othe amazonian species that we hold dear to our heart. Well, the other day Animal Planet en Español(they do this often I guess is because of many of the viewers actually were born near the Amazon) show a feature on the flooded nature of the forest during the rainy season and they showed a pair of discus spawning and caring for their young.

Got me thinking how rare is actually to see wild discus spawning on the wild??

fishfarm
06-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Discus spawn during the hieght of the rainy season (usually Fed-March) when the forest flood, The water reaches up into the canopy of the forest and the discus spawn on leave of trees, It's usually murky and hard to film, so you won't see that often. Only film I've ever seen was one Oliver shows and it's amazing. Ken

Tad
06-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Havent had the pleasure to see the video that Oliver took but I will post a link of some still pictures that Oliver sent me awhile back of a wild fanning eggs....

regards,
Tad

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=38800

ShinShin
06-25-2006, 08:57 PM
The canopy? That's 150 feet up. The flood stage is usually 30-40 feet, isn't it? New Orleans to South Beach would be flooded at that stage, I think.

Mat

Ed13
06-27-2006, 03:09 PM
The canopy? That's 150 feet up. The flood stage is usually 30-40 feet, isn't it? New Orleans to South Beach would be flooded at that stage, I think.

Mat

Yeah, the fish laid eggs on a leaf on what look like the top of the forrest canopy. Strangely, although the leafs of the tree provided shade the water was cristal clear. They even showed the fry eating from the parents(calling the muccus Discus milk). It's a shame I don't know the location or what the strain was. They looked like curiperas but the male had what look like a Heckel bar.

When they repeat it I'll taped it and hopefully I'll find a way to put it on the net.

Ryan
07-05-2006, 12:44 PM
I actually saw this on a kids' show once... it was either on Discovery Kids or Animal Planet (the English version). They were doing a countdown of the top 10 animal parents, and discus were on the countdown because of their parental care and the fact that they fed their young. They showed footage of discus with fry, but they weren't in an aquarium from what I could tell, so I assumed it was wilds. Maybe the network uses stock footage for multiple shows.

Ryan

Ed13
07-05-2006, 09:32 PM
I actually saw this on a kids' show once... it was either on Discovery Kids or Animal Planet (the English version). They were doing a countdown of the top 10 animal parents, and discus were on the countdown because of their parental care and the fact that they fed their young. They showed footage of discus with fry, but they weren't in an aquarium from what I could tell, so I assumed it was wilds. Maybe the network uses stock footage for multiple shows.

Ryan

Could be canned footage. It was an hour long documentary about the nature of the flooded forest and the impact on animals. They have not air the piece again.. But in this case it was definately in the amazon. To be more precise, among the foliage of a tree in the submerged forest.. They even showed most of the tree and it seem to be a pretty big one..
The male showed a nice middle bar somewhat like a heckel but not as thichk and the coloration did seem like a curipera..

DavidWong
07-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Yeah, the fish laid eggs on a leaf on what look like the top of the forrest canopy. Strangely, although the leafs of the tree provided shade the water was cristal clear. They even showed the fry eating from the parents(calling the muccus Discus milk). It's a shame I don't know the location or what the strain was. They looked like curiperas but the male had what look like a Heckel bar.

When they repeat it I'll taped it and hopefully I'll find a way to put it on the net.

Indeed, it is extremely interesting to be able to witness the spawning of our precious ones in the WILD, even if it means seeing it on film/documentary.

I for one is glad that someone have brought this up in this forum as I am very very interested to have a copy of such documentary to keep as a record.

Can anyone advise how I can get hold of a CD copy of this program ??

I am from Malaysia though.

Ed13
07-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Indeed, it is extremely interesting to be able to witness the spawning of our precious ones in the WILD, even if it means seeing it on film/documentary.

I for one is glad that someone have brought this up in this forum as I am very very interested to have a copy of such documentary to keep as a record.

Can anyone advise how I can get hold of a CD copy of this program ??

I am from Malaysia though.

That is what I thought when I saw it...
Didn 't thought about contacting the network. Guess that will be the best bet, but don't expect an hour long disscusion on discus. It was only a couple of minutes or so...