PDA

View Full Version : A wild looking domestic?

Ed13
06-25-2006, 02:03 AM
Perhaps this is an unnecessary question, but if a large school of domestic discus of different strains were allowed to breed without a selective breeding program by the owner and this owner would just raise the young and breed them back to parents and every five generations or so introduce a wild discus, over various generations would the discus look like a wild one?

If there is no addition of wild genes, what would they end up like?

Rod
06-25-2006, 07:41 AM
An interesting question, without any selection on your part i'd tend to think they would eventually revert to less colored forms prob getting a higher percentage of wildish types as the years went by.

In Singapore i was told by the local discus keepers that a lake there has released domestic discus thriving in it, snakeskins i think it was. I think if i was ever in the position to have a discus lake in my back yard , i'd stock it with a single wild type like heckels and go snorkling every now and then :D

Ed13
06-27-2006, 03:24 PM
An interesting question, without any selection on your part i'd tend to think they would eventually revert to less colored forms prob getting a higher percentage of wildish types as the years went by.

In Singapore i was told by the local discus keepers that a lake there has released domestic discus thriving in it, snakeskins i think it was. I think if i was ever in the position to have a discus lake in my back yard , i'd stock it with a single wild type like heckels and go snorkling every now and then :D

I'm with you, might try out actually:D :D :D

Unfortunately most of our water resevoirs are teaming with fish from all over the world. In a particular river Oscars, Pacu and plecs With an occasional RED TAIL CATFISH in another Red Devils and Tiger BArbs

Anyone else thought about natural selection by fish what are they looking for on a mate?

John_Nicholson
06-27-2006, 04:06 PM
I don't know. IN the wild the preditors are doing the selection process. Without that influnence who knows which color types would have the advantage.

-john

Ed13
06-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Guess I did not thought about it, Most of the selection is carried away by other factors than the fish itself.
In this case would be nice when reffering to say heckel Rio XX t describe the topography of the river its surroundings and the possible predators....