PDA

View Full Version : First spawn for my Wattley Sunshine Discus

Sue50
06-27-2006, 10:07 AM
My Wattley Sunshine Discus paired a bit over a week ago and spawned last night. Thanks everyone for your advise on how to set up the breeding tank!! I ordered some breeding cones but they didn't arrive in time. They used the heater cord!! :D
Sue

Sue50
06-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Here is the male making a pass. He is the Discus in my avatar, just approaching a year old and is a bit over 6 inches. The only eggs left are in the crease of the cord this morning, but the male is fanning and guarding them. It's so cool!!

used2bBubbles
06-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Oh, Suz! How cool is that! I'm so happy for you!! More pictures!

Jarrod
06-27-2006, 10:38 AM
COOL Sue!!! Now if my Wattely sunshines ever pair up and spawn I'd be a HAPPY camper!...congrats on your good luck with them!
Jarrod

lhforbes12
06-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Sue,
Congrats! It's always fun to see them spawn.

Sue50
06-27-2006, 02:54 PM
There you are Kathi. I found ya!! LOL If they ever get it right you can come down and get a few. ;)

I'd love to see some pictures of your Wattley Discus, Jarrod. I seriously want some Blur Turqs and Red Pandas!! OK, ANY Discus that isn't the color I already have. LOL I love the striated patterns!! My Blue Diamonds paired up yesterday, so kep your fingers crossed for my next thread entitled, My second spawn...........!! :D :D

Thanks lhforbes12, my husband even watched for 1/2 an hour. They spawned for around two hours. It was great entertainment. :juggle:

Sue

Ed13
06-27-2006, 03:19 PM
If you go the Wattley route again (my first choice always) in MY EXPIRIENCE their nicest seem to be Malboros(the picture on the site doesn't hold up to reallity) Leopards and most of the pandas have a very nice and rounded shape. Their Red TUrks are very round and seem to grow really fast but have brownish base. Their Blue turks have an impresive color

Sue50
06-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks Ed! I was so tempted (and still am) to get some of the Wattley Marlboro Reds that "1977" has advertized in the Marketplace here. I don't like the color change mid fish of the ones on Jack's site. But 1977's look really nice. Yes, the blue Turqs are so awesome!! Nice to know about the shapes. My Sunshine have more peppering on the 2 females than I'd like to see, but the male is pretty clean. What is your experience with peppering on Wattley's fish, Ed?? I was wondering if something I may have done caused this??
Sue

AADiscus
06-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Sue, 1977's (Britt) are nice. The parents to those fry have really nice coloring through out the whole body. He lives about 15 minutes from us so we have seen them in person.

Congrats on the spawn!!! ;) ;) It's always so much fun watching them spawn and then the waiting game for them to hatch. Truly is entertaining.
One thing to keep in mind is when you see them spawn again, turn down your air flow to your sponge to a minimum or turn it off until they get done spawning.

ps.....where did you order your cones from?

Ed13
06-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks Ed! I was so tempted (and still am) to get some of the Wattley Marlboro Reds that "1977" has advertized in the Marketplace here. I don't like the color change mid fish of the ones on Jack's site. But 1977's look really nice. Yes, the blue Turqs are so awesome!! Nice to know about the shapes. My Sunshine have more peppering on the 2 females than I'd like to see, but the male is pretty clean. What is your experience with peppering on Wattley's fish, Ed?? I was wondering if something I may have done caused this??
Sue

In this area it varies somewhat,from what I've seen Sunshines and Golden pandas are the most consistently cleaner Red pandas are usually good, blue pandas are mixed, seen them very clean and big and somewhat peppered but this have come with anoce size and EALLy good shape so you tend to forget about it...

Forgot to mention earlier that I think Gabe produces the nicest malboros and the nicest snowflakes,but hey thats just my opinion... But WAttley's are still my first choice at least from a big commercial breeder.

Sue50
06-27-2006, 06:21 PM
AA, I got the cones from Rosenthal Pottery. Evan is hand throwing them today and they will be ready in 2 weeks. (http://www.rosenthalpottery.com/) They are his newest version and come with a net. I also got a couple of breeding cones for my 2 Bristlenose pairs. One albino standard, the other brown longfin. I'm sick of looking at my terra cotta flower pots! LOL Let me get this sraiight...Brit is 1977? If so I asked him some questions about the Discus on his marketplace post just a bit ago.

Ed, about Snowflakes....I don't remember seeing any on his web page. Are they white?

Ed13
06-27-2006, 06:40 PM
There are a number of discus not advertized on the site some are for sale, but most of the time they use them for crosses and to improve on strains you'll have to call Gabriel.

Sue50
06-27-2006, 09:40 PM
OK Thanks Ed!!:D

used2bBubbles
06-29-2006, 11:12 AM
Ok, Suz, so how about an update here????

Kathi

Sue50
06-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi Kathi!! No eggs left, they ate them all. I'm really hopeful for their next spawns. They are such calm fish, I bet eventually they will get it right and parent raise for me. At least my fingers are crossed for that!! LOL
Sue

AADiscus
06-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Hopefully your cones will be in by the next spawn and they won't use the cord. :)

used2bBubbles
06-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Yea, and maybe soften the lights a little, some soft romantic music and a candle lit dinner before they spawn...
Sometimes it's all in the ambiance!!!

06-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Congrats on the spawn and hopefully they'll get it figured out on the first try!