PDA

View Full Version : unknown illness

cousinkenni
06-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Hi All,

I was hoping someone could help in identifying a disease. I lost one discus to this same thing a few weeks back and now a second one is showing the same signs. It starts with the caudal fin turning opaque, followed by the peduncle forming what appears to be a sore. Currently the fish is feeding and pooping normal (no white feces or antyhing strange) but if it is the same disease, in about a week this fish will stop eating and turn dark. I would like to stop this illness early if possible, but have no idea what to treat for. With the last fish I did a PP treatment followed by treatment with nitrofurazone, but the fish did not make it through the treatment. I believe I started the treatment too late, for the fish had already stopped eating and had turned dark. I lost the last fish about 4 days into treatment.

I have attached two photos. The first photo is a clear photo I took about a week ago that shows the caudal fin beginning to turn opaque. The second photo is a horrible photo taken by my girlfriend with a P&S camera last night that is trying to show the sore/ulcer. I am away from home for the next week so I cannot take a descent photo with my SLR camera. If I can I will try to post a better photo of the ulcer in the next day or two (if I can get my buddy to take a good photo).

Thank you all for your time,

Ken Takeuchi

cousinkenni
06-27-2006, 02:59 PM
here is the second photo.....once again sorry for the poor quality.

pcsb23
06-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Ken,

Looking at the pics I would suggest septecemia. Its not something I have seen very often so cannot be certain but that is what I would go for at this time. Judging from what you describe it would fit with septecemia. A quick web search has suggested Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride as the treatment which if memory serves is a pesticide, but I could be wrong.

Sorry I cannot be more definite about the diagnosis.

lhforbes12
06-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Kenni,
I don't know if Paul is correct but I trust his judgement. btw Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride is merely the "real" name for Tetracycline.
Along with Paul's recommendation I would also suggest large water changes, at least 50% daily.

Larry

cousinkenni
06-28-2006, 03:01 AM
Thanks guys,

I have happen to have some tetracycline at home. I will call my girlfriend and ask her to start treating.

Ken T.

brewmaster15
06-28-2006, 05:30 AM
Hi ken,
I agree with paul that its looks like some kind of bacterial lesion.. Question is... why are your fish getting this like they are? These things usually happen when theres an injury...and usually not to multiple fish in the tank.

Makes me wonder what you have here as an underlaying cause....Hows the tanks water quality?, fish stocking etc?

-al