PDA

View Full Version : First Spawn

steve.ryall
06-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Hi Guys,

I got home from work tonight, looked in the tank to find my Blue Diamond and Pigeon Blood doing the dirty!!:p

It's the first spawning in my tank since I set it up just over a year ago. These were my first discus bought at about 2" long. They have grown well in my planted tank, the BD is about 5" and the PB is 6" I am chuffed with both fish as they are good examples of each type. In fact Paul (pcsb23) has recommended that I show my PB in the UK Discus Show this year.:)

The strange thing about the particular mating is the fact that I have a surrogate 'Father'.........I am not sure if I mentioned this in previous postings but my PB and my Red Spotted Green are great freinds and have been practicing their runs with eachother, I guess they are not gay fish, just really close freinds.:confused:
The eggs were laid by the Blue Diamond, and as soon as she was done and the Pigeon did his runs the RSG moved on in, made sure the BD couldn't look after the eggs. Now the two men are happily looking after the eggs and mum hasn't got a look in. Saves all the arguments I suppose!!! :argue:

Anyway here are a few photos of the happy threesome... I hope you enjoy them.

Steve

steve.ryall
06-27-2006, 05:27 PM
next one

steve.ryall
06-27-2006, 05:28 PM
the happy threesome

Sue50
06-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Great pictures! So nice they all get along together. This dispels some information I was told by a discus breeder that Blue Diamonds and PB's dont pair up together. I thought that sounded a little off. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with the spawn. By the way, the PB is gorgeous.....they all are.
Sue

lhforbes12
06-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Congrats Steve!
For me the most exciting thing in this hobby is getting fish to spawn. Well done!

Larry

steve.ryall
06-28-2006, 05:24 AM
Thanks Sue, Larry.

The eggs are still there this morning, the RSG is sitting with them, the BD is hovering, the PB was feeding when I left for work this morning.

It's very exciting, I guess they won't last too long in the community tank, but they are very protective, even to the point that the mum cant get too close.

I'll post more pics as they progress or post when they have been eaten.

Steve

Kindredspirit
06-28-2006, 07:14 AM
Steve ~ how K00L is that I ask you? What made you put the cone in? You just did it on a dime? I suppose I shld do that ~ What a great picture too!

So do ya want lil baby fry? You will try to keep and raise them? How exciting ~ A Grandpa:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

steve.ryall
06-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Would be nice to rase my own Marie, I dont think many will survive this time, but I know I have some capable fish now.

Grandpa!!!! :mad: I'm not that old!!! :D

Steve