PDA

View Full Version : Waking up

phalough
06-29-2006, 12:27 AM
I have several discus in a ninety gallon tank, and when I turn the lights on in the morning sometimes they look drugged and just completely out of it. In time they all come around and act normal and everthing. I've worried in the past and now realize it's just me pulling up the shades I guess. Whats some of your experiences with this please.

cobaltblue
06-29-2006, 01:33 AM
Same thing here. Sometimes i think they are sick or drugged. Takes mine about 10 minutes to start roaming around waiting for me to feed them.

Dissident
06-29-2006, 01:40 AM
I feel like that too some mornings.

Mack
06-29-2006, 01:56 AM
Me too...must be a Milwaukee thing!
Joe

lhforbes12
06-29-2006, 07:53 AM
I have a 13 watt fluorescent lamp running all the time in my basement by their tanks, I never have this problem since they have a "night light". The upstairs tank has moon lights, works the same.

Larry

pcsb23
06-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Me too...must be a Milwaukee thing!
Joe
Joe, happens in the UK too, I feel like that every morning! :)

Theer is always some light where my tanks are so they never really get a cold start as such. They sill go very still in the tank through the night.

Harriett
06-29-2006, 11:14 AM
As long as you are seeing them sort of jump into gear and come out looking for coffee and donuts within a reasonable amount of time and they are behaving/looking normally, it sounds like nothing more than waking up routines. Mine do the same thing in the morning when I first turn on the lights if there have been no night/moon lights going. By the time I feed them (15-20 minutes later) they are ready to go.
The only thing I wanted to check is this--if there are significant fluctuations in your pH between night and day, it could account for the groggy AM behavior. If your pH is stable this won't be an issue. (--This would be a planted tank/CO2 injection scenario most likely, though.)
Harriett