PDA

View Full Version : blackish

architect1
07-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Ok recently my 2 blue dimonds that are about 6 " have turned black. What is it from? One its black around the fin. Thats happend when I took all the plants out the second one just recently turn a light black along the body.

I do 2 water changes a weet 33 to 35%. Its just stone in the tank. Any thoughts.

Jeckel
07-01-2006, 05:08 PM
BDs, like many strains, turn dark when they spawn. Could they be thinking about laying some eggs? Another possibility, of course, is that they're sick, but if they're not hiding and are eating well that's probably not the case.

architect1
07-01-2006, 05:59 PM
well they aren’t hiding. The one chases the one with the dark fins. So that could be it. But I don't think he's eating I don't see him.

The other 2 bd have spawned before so that could be it. right now there 2 of the 3 are colored fine. The one guy bounces in and out. Maybe I'm paranoid.

Carol_Roberts
07-02-2006, 10:44 AM
They also turn dark when not happy with water quality. I wonder if you stirred up gunk when removing plants? Did you remove fish, clean tank and add fish back or leave fish in tank while doing changes? I'd start with extra water changes - like 40% everyday for a few days and see if normal color comes back. ps. there is lots of bad bacteria hiding in gravel too . . .

architect1
07-02-2006, 11:51 AM
I left them in then empty like 50% and then put new in. I didn't think about emptying them into something else. Ever since I bought them they had this black ting on them.

Rod
07-03-2006, 06:12 AM
I think Jeckel is prob right, bd's do darken somewhat when they breed and discus can also have reduced appetites when they breed. keep a close eye on them just in case but i wouldn't be panicking just yet.

Heres an old pic of bd's darkness when they are in spawning mode so you can compare to your own fish. :)

architect1
07-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Thank you for the pic. I have my pair that is dark But its the other single blue dimond thats dark around the fins. hes the one I'm a little concerd. the 2 bd eat.

Then theres my 112g tank where they 5 months old. They have the blackish around there bodies. But there eyes are orange and they eat. I'm thinking its the stone there in.

I'm going to empty the tank into 2 huge ruber made containers. Clean the tank out and take the tone and then put them all back in.