PDA

View Full Version : My first breedin pair..

Tek
07-03-2006, 07:53 AM
Bought a breeding pair from a guy selling here. Male about 6" and female 5". I have them in 30gal 3' long tank with power head sponge filler. It has been 5days now, and the males still don't eat. I have temp up to to 88 degree and W/C 15% Daily. Now, question is, how can i make the tap watch pH down? My city tap water at 7.5. Now, what i need to watch out?

http://view.ipixmedia.com/abc/cityxpress/s27_a10368029/i-4.jpg

Carol_Roberts
07-03-2006, 08:47 AM
It is common for adults to stop eating for a week or two when moved to a new enviornment. What was the last owner feeding? Give them familiar foods and they should start eating soon. Watch to see that one doesn't start harassing the other. What is your water hardness (GH?) That is more important than pH. If it is below 8 (drops of reagent to turn water green) I wouldn't worry about it. If over GH 8 you will need RO to soften water not chemicals to lower pH.

Tek
07-03-2006, 11:13 PM
It is common for adults to stop eating for a week or two when moved to a new enviornment. What was the last owner feeding? Give them familiar foods and they should start eating soon. Watch to see that one doesn't start harassing the other. What is your water hardness (GH?) That is more important than pH. If it is below 8 (drops of reagent to turn water green) I wouldn't worry about it. If over GH 8 you will need RO to soften water not chemicals to lower pH.

Thanks Carol,
Just test the GH level at 25 to 35. Is it super hight for breeders :confused: It sounds like i need to buy some drinking water or peat low down GH. How about Water Softer pillow from Dr. Wellfish?

Also, What do you mean by watch one doesn't start harassing the other?

Carol_Roberts
07-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Did you use a GH test kit where you add drops of reagent to 5 ml water in a test tube? If it took more than 20 drops of liquid to change color one can only hope the test kit is old and inaccurate. I would buy another test kit online (fresher) and retest water.

If on municipal water call and ask hardness. They may use a different measuring system like grains, etc. Ask for a general answer too - is the water very soft, moderately hard, very hard. . . . what is carbonate hardness (KH)

If you ahve a well and live in Colorado your water may be that hard. Your only hope would be a Reverse Osmossis (RO) filter. Peat and Water softener pillows are quickly exhausted - especially in hard water and especially with normal discus water changes.

Tek
07-05-2006, 01:26 AM
I'm using the tip in one, properly, i need the one add in drop in 5ml.