View Full Version : Naked Truth

Imperialdiscus
07-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Andrew's book arrived in the mail yesterday so I thought I would take a break to peruse it.

For those who don't have it, it's an interesting book. If you are a newbie discus keeper, it's probably an essential book to get, it has a lot of great info all collected in one spot. For 70.00, it's a good buy considering it condenses a lot of material that is scattered over numerous Discus books from the past.

Some complaints though is that Andrew isn't a very good sketch artist. Also the layout when sketches were included was not all that good. The pages didn't flow, and they had to tell you where the picture being discussed in the paragraph was on the page. Really a minor point but to me it was a bit of an annoyance.

A thin book, but he really condenses things to the key points pretty quickly.

Having kept Discus for a very long time, I didn't really get anything new out of it other than some really nit picky, very minutae specific grading methods. Although I could say that justifies the cost. (I tend to impulsively collect things) An interesting story about Singapore wild discus, and a couple of other small points.

I would have liked to have seen a much more comprehensive book, with more volume to it, maybe along the lines of Dieter's Discus Health book for example, with fish room setups, and in depth technical details. However I am sure that book is still out there waiting to be written........

All in all, I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars for sure.

EDIT:

I was surprised at all the ads in the book. Kind of interesting.

Dissident
07-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Does it go into any depth regarding breeding and genetic traits?

Imperialdiscus
07-04-2006, 04:57 PM
170 pages.

page 1 - 14 is basic introduction stuff.

Pages 15 - 38 is all on selecting stock. Pretty detailed.

pages 39 - 50 tank setup types. Central system, single tank etc. Various water change filtration methods with pros and cons.

page 51 - 68 titled breeding, is largely breeding mechanics. tanks size, cones, chemistry. Most topics are only a few paragraphs or less. For example, the subject of top opening, lighting, shadows, and breeding object are all on a single page, with 2 1/6 page sized images on the page.

Aeration is 2 sentences long.

pages 69 - 85 is all about artemia. I was a bit dismayed that brine shrimp got almost as many pages as the chapters on breeding.

pages 87 - 98 is about sexing discus

pages 99 - 109 is called grooming a champion. A lot regarding culling is discussed, then he covers some earlier info on selection and then talks about breeding again.

pages 111 - 125 discusses genetics, and in a lot more depth than any other discus book.

Is it highly intense genetics? no. It's largely basic Mendel. You'd learn this and more in basic biology in school. But a nice touch is he shows specific examples of how a strain was created. "Creating a clean Marlboro" with charts, "Cleaning up the Silver Dreamer", and "creating and maintaining golden leopard bloodlines"

All with lots of charts. It's not NEW material, but it is directed solidly at Discus and put in an easy to follow context.

pages 127 - 130 is about quarantining new fish.

131 - 149 is about diseases and treatments. More geared towards the casual hobbyist, I prefer Discus Health by Untergasser.

151 - 154 covers commonly used drugs and medications.

157 - 170 covers basic questions and answers.

Timbo
07-05-2006, 05:36 AM
Andrew signed a number of copies for a group order for simply members, did you get one of those? http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=47114&highlight=andrew+book

Mr. Soh posts here on simply quite often as well :) I agree with your comments about the book.

Imperialdiscus
07-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Nope. I missed that one by several months.

I got one listed on eBay recently for 70.00

Andrew signed a number of copies for a group order for simply members, did you get one of those? http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=47114&highlight=andrew+book

Mr. Soh posts here on simply quite often as well :) I agree with your comments about the book.

lhforbes12
07-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Wild Mon,
Thank you for your excellent review.

Larry