PDA

View Full Version : Digital Definition of Discus

Imperialdiscus
07-05-2006, 07:43 PM
No doubt this has been discussed here at some point, but I can;t find it.

What do people think of David Lim's Numeric grading system for Discus based on strains?

Riche_guy
07-06-2006, 12:35 AM
No doubt this has been discussed here at some point, but I can;t find it.

What do people think of David Lim's Numeric grading system for Discus based on strains?

I hope you won't unleash a can of worms with this one. Good luck. :argue:

Dissident
07-06-2006, 12:38 AM
I hope you won't unleash a can of worms with this one. Good luck. :argue:

I do ;)

How about a link to this 'system' i have never read about?

Imperialdiscus
07-06-2006, 12:45 AM
I do ;)

How about a link to this 'system' i have never read about?

It was published in the first edition of Asian Discus as I recall.

Rod
07-06-2006, 04:59 AM
Yes its posted in asian discus 1. Well we need a grading system for sure, but Davids system is based on valueing the fish according to colors and doesn't really take into account the general quality of the specimen. I can see that system requireing constant updating.

Imperialdiscus
07-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Yes its posted in asian discus 1. Well we need a grading system for sure, but Davids system is based on valueing the fish according to colors and doesn't really take into account the general quality of the specimen. I can see that system requireing constant updating.

I noticed a few flaws in the system, this being the biggest. It only grades based on color, and I think was designed as a way of clarifying the "name of the week" naming conventions that are ramapnt in this industry.

It would identify a Cobalt, or Blue Diamond, but only identify it by type. The system makes no way to rate the quality of the fish. For example I have seen a lot of so called Blue diamonds that bear little resemblance to the stock I purchased in 1990. In a lot of them, the color has gone to hell completely, so has the nice shape.

I did find it interesting, but it needs more parameters to be really functional.

dandestroy
07-06-2006, 01:36 PM
very hard to objectively rate something that is so subjective as rating

Imperialdiscus
07-06-2006, 02:31 PM
very hard to objectively rate something that is so subjective as rating

It's not really a rating, it's strictly identification.