PDA

View Full Version : PL. HELP

nn0023
07-06-2006, 03:24 PM
MY TANK SIZE :48"X18"X24".
FEW DAYS AGO I FOUND PLANARIAS IN MY TANK.
MY DISCUSES WHICH R EATING VORASIOUSLY BEFORE SHOWING INDULGENCE IN TAKING FOOD.
I CHANGED THE WATER OF MY TANK & CLEANED MY CANISTER.
I FILLED UP MY TANK WITH AGED WATER.
2 OUT 12 DISUSES ARE NOT EATING & STAYING IN CORNERS.COLOURS HAVE SLIGHTLY FADED , BUT FINS R STILL FULLY IN OPEN COND.

PL. ADVICE ME OF THE PROBLEM & REMEDY.

THANKS & REGARDS

NANDAN

raglanroad
07-06-2006, 09:08 PM
fins fully open is good , not sure of all the circumstances of your tank though, so difficult to assess.
some people do not mind planaria, even look at a few of them as a sign of reasonably good conditions, though it might be that excess food remained in tank, not sure about that.

Dave

Graham
07-06-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm with Dave here..Planaria are not a parasite of fish and are eaten by most fish when cleaned off the glass, etc. They usually show up when water has high DOC's and organics to feed off of.... how's the tank and the mechanical filter media for crud?.

G

Carol_Roberts
07-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Keep wiping down wall of tank and walls of filters. Planaria love smooth surfaces. (Be sure not to kill the "good" bacteria in the filter media by rinsing it in chlorinated water.) Feed less for a few days. Do 40 % water changes. Put a small pore sponge on the intake of your filter to keep food out of the canister. Rinse the prefilter sponge under the watertap every time you do a water change. In a week or two the planaria will be gone, your tank will be clean and your discus will be happy :)

Alight
07-07-2006, 01:34 PM
If you can, measure your nitrates. I'm guessing they are very high which is why the planaria are around so much. They do not cause disease, but indicate that your water quality is not good. Get your nitrates down my doing more water changes as Carol suggests. Probably 40% each day for at least a week, and if you can measure nitrates, change enough water to keep the nitrates at 10 ppm or under.

raglanroad
07-07-2006, 01:38 PM
back to non-vermi info.

did you dechloramine the water, if you have chloramined water?

Dave

nn0023
07-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks everybody for ur kind co-operation & valuable suggestions.

I have noticed one thing now that one of my above stated discuses ejecting whitish mucus type long feces from anus.

Is it case of metronidazole?

Started water changes.

nitrate test kit not presently not available at my local store.can tell u the readings tommorrow or day after tommorrow.

Will update at every succes & faliure.

thanks & regards

Nandan

nn0023
07-10-2006, 04:45 PM
my discuses have started eating.

I have done metronidazole treatment.

thanks everybody.

Carol any comments?

Carol_Roberts
07-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Sounds like things are fine now :)

nn0023
07-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Carol
I am really thankful to u. your sticky threads are really helpful.

thanks & regards

Nandan