PDA

View Full Version : What is THIS???

used2bBubbles
07-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Geez, last night I walked into the room to see my discus and this is what I saw. I've NEVER seen my BD that color! Now granted, this picture was taken at night with no flash, but look at his brother/sister.....should I be worried?

PS: he is his usual color today (whew!)

But what waz that?????

used2bBubbles
07-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Here's another....

I did not alter this photo in any way -- no additional light, contrast, nuthin!

AmberC
07-08-2006, 12:55 PM
I have heard that sometimes they will lighten in color to white at night time when its dark. I read another post somewhere that someone made about their fish turning white at night...

Amber

used2bBubbles
07-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks, Amber. That's a relief. But I wonder why they do that? If one did, wouldn't you think the other would, too? And for what purpose? I've never seen them do this in the 8 months I've had them.

lhforbes12
07-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Yep, Amber has it perfectly. Nothing to worry about, you caught it sleeping is all.

used2bBubbles
07-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Well that's good news. Thanks again, Amber, and Larry. Funny thing was, he was still swimming around. So I guess he's a sleep swimmer!!! Good thing he can't get out of the tank when he's doing that!!!

LuckyYou
07-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Yea, they sleep at night when the lights are off. Their colors almost totally fade away. It's strange to see them when they have been in the pitch dark and you first turn the lights on. They are resting on the bottom of the tank barely moving with almost no color. Takes them a little while to totally wake up and look normal too.

used2bBubbles
07-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks, Lucky. I can attest to the fact that they are definitely not "morning people." When I come in the room in the morning, they look like they've been out all night, ripping. Takes them a while to wake up.

Good to know. Thanks for posting. :)

Kathi

Kenny's Discus
07-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Hi Kathi - in additional to the above, are these 2 BDs non-related? Keep in mind that BDs from different lines can carry different types of blues...like lighter blue, darker blue, more or less intense, etc...shouldn't be a problem IMO.

Take care,
Kenny

used2bBubbles
07-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks, Kenny, I can see how that would be. I'm not 100% sure, but I think these BDs are from the same spawn. I picked them up at the breeder's house from a tank full of BDs. So I guess my chances of them not being related are pretty slim.

Oh, well, as long as this is not an unusual occurrence, I'm ok with it, now that I know. Really hit me at first, you know? Like when you see a person's face go all white, like the blood has drained from it and they're going to pass out? Kind of threw me there. Next time I'll be ok, though.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I appreciate your reply.

Kathi

Kindredspirit
07-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Kathi ~ Ask RyanH sometime why he allowed me to call him at 3AM one morning!!

You wouldnt believe it! I think Candy is the only one that knows.....

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

used2bBubbles
07-08-2006, 04:52 PM
what if he won't tell me?????

AmberC
07-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks, Amber. That's a relief. But I wonder why they do that? If one did, wouldn't you think the other would, too? And for what purpose? I've never seen them do this in the 8 months I've had them.

Your Welcome Kathi :)

Amber

used2bBubbles
07-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Ok, he's at it again. He must not be a nightowl and the other is. lol The other is still deep blue; he's white. ha!

Kindredspirit
07-09-2006, 01:06 AM
Kathi ~ this may help a little ~ I dug it up just for ya!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=46742

used2bBubbles
07-09-2006, 01:19 AM
Aw, Marie, you're a sweetheart! Thanks for finding that for me. I was in such a panic that I never thought to look for a thread on it. The first couple of posts I read I thought, "Oh sh#t! I'm in trouble!" and then people started posting that had experienced that. Whew!

I must have woken up Whitey because he's blue again and moving around. I suppose they wish I'd go to bed. Got lots to do before I go to bed. I'm a nightowl. My husband's a morning person. Not a good match, let me tell you. He frowns at me for staying up late, I'm psd at him when he gets up at the crack of dawn. oops....crack of dawn....hee hee better than crack of the butt, huh? :D

Anyway, thanks! I feel better! And I now have 3 tanks painted. yea!

lhforbes12
07-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Kathi,
Ingrid and I are the same way... well opposite really. She goes to bed early and I go to bed late

Kindredspirit
07-09-2006, 01:29 AM
Oh Good Chica ~ did ya read it all yet? Kathi they were snow white I swear! Candy and I were def trippin I'm tellin ya ~ poor Ryan ~ he was such a sweetheart ~

I am a morning person too ~ but I had a really good/long day ( very K00L and special:o ) so I fell asleep around 8ish i think ....and i just got up at 9:30ish ~ wide awake now!

I wish I had painted all my tanks initially sometimes ~ I have so much background crap! But I am so fickle I wld want to change it in a month so itz prolly a good thing I didnt go that route ~ oh there is a thread re that too I took out ~ took em all out babe ~ trust me ~ lol!!

Marie~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

used2bBubbles
07-09-2006, 01:29 AM
Larry, don't you get "that look" a lot? I do. Then later in the day I'll catch him napping in the chair with the tv on!

used2bBubbles
07-09-2006, 01:39 AM
Hey, Marie, mi amiga, you bet I read it all. Every last word! No wonder you wanted me to ask Ryan about a phone call you made! ha ha! (Guys aren't real big into repeating stories like that anyway!)

Yea, my guy was white white white. The picture looked yellow, but it was due to indirect lighting and no flash. Yea, he was really ghostly. Felt like I should have named him Casper! He should really be Rasputin. He gets real nasty some times!

So you're wide awake, eh? Hmmm. You're tempting me...I have free calling on weekends....oh, do I dare? Naw, you're probably getting tired, huh?

lhforbes12
07-09-2006, 01:43 AM
Kathi,
I used to get yelled at all the time. But it was my own fault, I'm half deaf and I would come to bed and blast the TV. I don't do that anymore

<-------- Trained at least a little bit

used2bBubbles
07-09-2006, 01:46 AM
ha ha! My latest thing is watching Sex & the City, which doesn't come on here until 11:05. Then it runs to 12:05 (2 episodes). Problem is, they talk real soft and suddenly a commercial BLARES INTO THE ROOM and I've got to grab the remote before it wakes him up! Then I'll even watch Malcolm in the Middle, which I find just hilarious, and start laughing in bed!

lhforbes12
07-09-2006, 01:53 AM
Kathi,
Yep! That's what gets me into trouble too. The commercials come on and are really LOUD... uhhhh and plus by then I'm usually asleep so she has to turn off the TV <doh!> I just go downstairs now, if I fall asleep in the chair at least I'm not bothering her.

used2bBubbles
07-09-2006, 02:00 AM
Ah, life. Ain't it grand??????? :D

Kindredspirit
07-09-2006, 08:08 PM
So you're wide awake, eh? Hmmm. You're tempting me...I have free calling on weekends....oh, do I dare? Naw, you're probably getting tired, huh?

aww... man I missed this http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/1/1_4_88.gif

used2bBubbles
07-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Hey, gurl, chances like that come few and far between.

However...........I might be inclined to take advantage of the fact that IT'S STILL FREE SUNDAY!!!!!!

PM me your phone number and I give ya a quick call!

used2bBubbles
07-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Ok, then. . . .

. . . or don't PM me. :(

Kindredspirit
07-09-2006, 08:34 PM
I just SAW it ~ ********! 916-649-3 6 0.....want the rest?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_19_1.gif ( this won't be YOU will it? )

used2bBubbles
07-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Hmmmm. I don't know if your picture is me.....I can't see any of your little pictures...just little red xs all over the place. My internet provider says that program has spyware and I can't get it. So you can put anything you want up there gurlfriend and I won't know. Oh. Uh....forget that last part!

Do I want the rest of your phone number? Naw, I'll just guess and if I don't get you with 0, I'll try 1, then 2, .....

Kindredspirit
07-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Bummer Kathi!:(