PDA

View Full Version : SLR Digital Camera??

White Worm
07-10-2006, 03:16 AM
People take alot of nice pictures lately. I want to get a new one. Nikon...EOS...Sony??? Which ones do you have and what is their pros and cons and lets also talk price. I am not filthy rich but i understand they cost between $500-$1200 for a nice one. Not planning on going any higher. Have my eye on the SONY.

Kindredspirit
07-10-2006, 05:12 AM
You shop like a girl Mikey;) Now was that you that just took those Santa Cruz pics? I thought those were really really good! What is wrong with that camera? I think it took better pics than mine:( Did ya borrow it?

I got a few months back.... a Canon Powershot ~ and so did Candy or similiar ....and I think we paid around $300 -400 ~ I know I didnt pay anymore than that cuz that....killed me:( Didnt wanna go too cheap tho!

hth ~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_51.gif

LizStreithorst
07-10-2006, 08:48 AM
I just got a new camera 2 weeks ago. I bought an Olympus E-500. It came with a wide angle lens and a telephoto lens. $800. It's awsome.

Kindredspirit
07-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Well take a picture of something Liz! Got Fish? Letz see how that puppy works ~

Sounds great!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_5_33.gif

lhforbes12
07-10-2006, 09:01 AM
You shop like a girl Mikey;)

ROFL

We just bought an 8.1 MP camera from Aldi's for $230 (for those of you not in the mid-west Aldi's is a discount grocery store) We also got a video camera ($100) and GPS from Aldi's ($300) Aldi's our discount electronics store...

Kweenshaker
07-10-2006, 09:57 AM
the canon rebel is a sweet little digital slr..and fractionally under $1000. If I had the extra cash, I'd definitely go for that one :)

My fav manufacturers of digicams are canon, sony, pentax and nikon. I wouldn't buy anything else. (Am I a brand snob? :p)

Ryan
07-10-2006, 12:15 PM
I love the Canon Rebel. I've played with them and I really enjoy them. I've heard a lot of people say that they like the Nikon better though. I would recommend going to a camera store and trying them out. See if they'll let you pull up pics on a laptop or something and compare them. To me, it's pretty subjective... what you like in a picture may not be what others like. I am pretty picky about the pics I take... I look for a certain sharpness and clarity, but others may like different aspects of a shot. So different cameras will give you different pros and cons.

Ryan

Imperialdiscus
07-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Although a bit pricier than some, the Nikon D70 is a hard camera to beat. loaded it costs around 1100.00

I had one before upgrading to the new 10.2 megapixel Nikon D200

White Worm
07-10-2006, 03:21 PM
You shop like a girl Mikey;) Now was that you that just took those Santa Cruz pics? I thought those were really really good! What is wrong with that camera? I think it took better pics than mine:( Did ya borrow it?

I got a few months back.... a Canon Powershot ~ and so did Candy or similiar ....and I think we paid around $300 -400 ~ I know I didnt pay anymore than that cuz that....killed me:( Didnt wanna go too cheap tho!

hth ~

You so funny!!! :p :p :p
My son took those shots with the digital camera we bought him for his birthday. I have a 3.1 Pixel Olympus that I bought about 6 years ago and it is time to update. I can take some really nice pics with it but if anything moves or if I am not completely still, I get blurry pics. There is no setting for objects in action. Anyone have any experience with new sony H5. Seems to give Nikon a run with a side by side comparison. I'm no expert photographer so I dont need something crazy, just a nice camera and something that wont break the piggy bank, lol. Maybe 4-500$ range, maybe a little more. I dont think I will have need for all those different lenses and all that fuss. Dont know much about em anyway, lol.

Ryan
07-10-2006, 03:29 PM
I use the Canon Powershot S2 IS. It was about $400. For the stuff I do, it takes great pictures. You can use it on a full automatic setting or you can tweak with manual settings. It's a point-and-shoot camera, it's not an SLR... but the quality is very good and they make beautiful prints... I took the camera on a family trip to South Carolina and we had the pictures developed at a photo center... they didn't look any different than a film camera.

Ryan

mikeos
07-10-2006, 03:35 PM
just bought a D50 as I could not justify the additional cost of the D70. They all work & work well...at least the new ones do.

In the end it came down to feel, the others all felt too small & buttons where all wrong for me.....other than that there is not much to choose in reality. best advice is go play & see what you like.

Imperialdiscus
07-10-2006, 03:49 PM
I bought the wife a Nikon Coolpix S3 for under 300.00

6.1mp, nice large 2.5" LCD screen. The newest model the S6 is the same camera, same functions, with a 3" LCD instead. (expensive though)

We print out a lot of photos from her camera and mine, and you can hardly tell the difference in quality between them. (typical type shots of course)

a 1gb SD card holds like 1200 pics on it, and you can fit the whole thing comfortably in your pocket.

White Worm
07-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks all...after research, I believe I have decided on Nikon D50. Seems like a solid camera for intermediate. Has great package for the price range and you can upgrade lenses / flash / cards. Cant go wrong with Nikon and I have heard nothing but good feedback on this camera. $700 is pretty pricey for a camera but we do use our camera for every occasion and with 3 kids and all our trips, would really come in handy. Plus......Now I can take some good shots of my discus! My wife says thats the only reason I want a good camera anyway, lol. Since we bought digital years ago, we have collected somewhere near 3,000 family photos saved on our computer. I would have more but I am sick of my olympus. You have to slide the door open......wait for the lense to extend and then wait for the screen to come on and then after all that, I get a blurry pic if I am not absolutely frozen... Crap :mad: ...I'm buying my new camera this weekend!

Kindredspirit
07-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Plus......Now I can take some good shots of my discus! My wife says thats the only reason I want a good camera anyway

...and her point is? did ya tell the lil woman she is 100% correct? I must take at least 200-500 pics a day Mike! Only a few are good tho ~ I just can not stop snapping once I start ~ Oh and there are the dogs...if ya have one....or four ~ and the kids ~if ya have 16 oh and flowers .....oh ********... anything ya like ~

but yes FISH wld be the number one for me:D How fun Mike!!! I feel ya!!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

White Worm
07-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Yep, I think that when I get this new one, I would be taking more shots because I wont be so irritated with so many blurry shots like the ones I get with my current digital. I have to take 20-30 shots before I get one that just has clear sharp edges. It was at the top of its game when I bought it for $300 + ......5 YEARS AGO! Thats the first thing I will test it out on....DISCUS!

used2bBubbles
07-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Hey, Mikey, can I add my 2 cents?

I've had a Canon PowerShot S500 for 2 years and LOVE it. I also have a Canon Rebel SLR, which is not digital. Yes, the SLRs have much further range for zoom, but the beauty (I feel anyway) of digitals is the size of the camera and how much it can do.

I have been a photography hobbiest for about 30 years and respect Nikons, but after my son got his Nikon digital, I have changed my opinion. He hardly ever uses it because it drains the batteries like crazy and pictures are fuzzy. I can't tell you why they're fuzzy except maybe the battery is already weak...but the point I want to make is to be sure to check to see what kind of battery the camera takes. My Canon has a lithium rechargable battery. I love it! My son's takes AAs or the rechargable AAs and it is costing him lots of money to keep the camera going. My preference is the lithium rechargable.

My sister-in-law just bought a Casio, which I never would have considered, but we were in a camera store and the salesman showed us the extra little features on this one and I was pretty impressed. The LED screen is so much better than any I've seen. The guy told us to take the camera outside and see if we could see what we were taking a picture of while in the sun. Something you don't think of, especially if you've never had a digital. My Canon goes so pale in the sun that I just pray for a good shot and take several. Just something to think about.

If you have the opportunity to borrow a friend's camera for a day and just take some practice shots, it's well worth your time. Now that I have one, I know what I'd buy next time around, and it would still be a Canon, but maybe a model or two higher.

Good luck! We'll be looking for pictures from you.

Kathi

yeomans
07-12-2006, 12:30 AM
I've been interested in photography for years and even had my own darkroom up and going at one point, although I've yet to purchase my own digital camera, I still prefer film for actual pictures that don't need to be put onto a computer,can't beat real sunlight emulsion.
The way that I was explained about the difference between canon and nikon is that it is all in the durability of lenses. Both canon and nikon are exceptional cameras I've owned both brands of 35mm slr cameras before.
Although the quality of photos compaired between the two don't differ. nikon lenses are made to take a punishment, just look at the price differnce between a canon 75-300mm lens verses that of a nikon, nikon is way more expensive usually. If you were to drop both lenses on the ground the canon would probably shatter where the nikon lens would remain in tact. The weight difference alone comparing the two lenses ultimatley shows that the nikon lenses are far better.
As`far as picture quality the differnce is undetectable, but usually people go canon first and then when they become more serious about photography and investing thier hard earned cash, will then usually go with the nikon.

josh

mikeos
07-12-2006, 02:45 AM
the d50 uses a lithium cell and is good for about 350 pics i am reliably informed...not had to recharge in 3 weeks......

White Worm
07-12-2006, 02:56 AM
Hey, Mikey, can I add my 2 cents?

I've had a Canon PowerShot S500 for 2 years and LOVE it. I also have a Canon Rebel SLR, which is not digital. Yes, the SLRs have much further range for zoom, but the beauty (I feel anyway) of digitals is the size of the camera and how much it can do.

I have been a photography hobbiest for about 30 years and respect Nikons, but after my son got his Nikon digital, I have changed my opinion. He hardly ever uses it because it drains the batteries like crazy and pictures are fuzzy. I can't tell you why they're fuzzy except maybe the battery is already weak...but the point I want to make is to be sure to check to see what kind of battery the camera takes. My Canon has a lithium rechargable battery. I love it! My son's takes AAs or the rechargable AAs and it is costing him lots of money to keep the camera going. My preference is the lithium rechargable.

My sister-in-law just bought a Casio, which I never would have considered, but we were in a camera store and the salesman showed us the extra little features on this one and I was pretty impressed. The LED screen is so much better than any I've seen. The guy told us to take the camera outside and see if we could see what we were taking a picture of while in the sun. Something you don't think of, especially if you've never had a digital. My Canon goes so pale in the sun that I just pray for a good shot and take several. Just something to think about.

If you have the opportunity to borrow a friend's camera for a day and just take some practice shots, it's well worth your time. Now that I have one, I know what I'd buy next time around, and it would still be a Canon, but maybe a model or two higher.

Good luck! We'll be looking for pictures from you.

Kathi
Thanks. Went down tonight to play with them and the d50 does have the rechargeable batteries. Lots of photos on one charge and a quick charger. The one I want comes with decent lense to start with 18mm to something or other (pretty technical huh). I just want a nice camera and I like that it has many possibilities for upgrades and lenses as I get more serious about my pics. My son is also heavy into photography (16 years old) and i think this camera would allow him to take some better quality shots (no toy though). I will go with the 1GB card and get the kit with the extra battery, filter, bag, etc. It looks like I will be in the ballpark of $650-700 just camera and then add the extras.

White Worm
07-12-2006, 02:58 AM
I've been interested in photography for years and even had my own darkroom up and going at one point, although I've yet to purchase my own digital camera, I still prefer film for actual pictures that don't need to be put onto a computer,can't beat real sunlight emulsion.
The way that I was explained about the difference between canon and nikon is that it is all in the durability of lenses. Both canon and nikon are exceptional cameras I've owned both brands of 35mm slr cameras before.
Although the quality of photos compaired between the two don't differ. nikon lenses are made to take a punishment, just look at the price differnce between a canon 75-300mm lens verses that of a nikon, nikon is way more expensive usually. If you were to drop both lenses on the ground the canon would probably shatter where the nikon lens would remain in tact. The weight difference alone comparing the two lenses ultimatley shows that the nikon lenses are far better.
As`far as picture quality the differnce is undetectable, but usually people go canon first and then when they become more serious about photography and investing thier hard earned cash, will then usually go with the nikon.

josh
I think I am making a wise decision with the Nikon. I have compared Nikon and Canon and some others but Nikon seems to do it all and at a more reasonable price......until...you get to the lenses....wow...those babies can cost some cash!

White Worm
07-12-2006, 03:01 AM
the d50 uses a lithium cell and is good for about 350 pics i am reliably informed...not had to recharge in 3 weeks......

I've heard you could probably do even more depending on the settings and I hear it does last a long time on one charge (plus a quick charger and an extra battery couldnt hurt). The reason is because other digitals use alot of battery to take pics from the display which the SLR does not do (saves battery power)

used2bBubbles
07-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Yup, as long as the d50 has that lithium battery, then I'd go with it, especially if you want to add on lenses, etc. And buying an extra battery or two never hurts. We went to China for 10 days last September and I always had plenty of battery.

Enjoy your purchase and practice, practice, practice! That's the great thing about digitals. You can erase all your mistakes!

Kathi

Elcid
07-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Haha, Canon vs. Nikon, I went through this a year ago and I'm a Nikon Lover. But, I bought a used Canon 10D......Now why would a Nikon Lover buy Canon digital? and a used one at that? Simple, I didn't have any Nikon lenses that would be compatible with the Nikon digitals and I was blown away at the clarity of the pics the Canon produced at High Iso setting (ISO 800 and above) vs. Nikon and I thought this was a feature that would be useful considering how expensive the wide aparture lenses are and my love for flash-less photography! Why the 10D and not the Rebel, I like mirror lock :)

HTH,
Sandeep

White Worm
07-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Haha, Canon vs. Nikon, I went through this a year ago and I'm a Nikon Lover. But, I bought a used Canon 10D......Now why would a Nikon Lover buy Canon digital? and a used one at that? Simple, I didn't have any Nikon lenses that would be compatible with the Nikon digitals and I was blown away at the clarity of the pics the Canon produced at High Iso setting (ISO 800 and above) vs. Nikon and I thought this was a feature that would be useful considering how expensive the wide aparture lenses are and my love for flash-less photography! Why the 10D and not the Rebel, I like mirror lock :)

HTH,
Sandeep
So, If you would have had lenses for Nikon? I have compared them and found that Canon just comes with a higher price tag and maybe a couple more frills that I probably wouldnt be concerned with at this stage in my photography life. I have read reviews and found that picture quality is pretty similar and I'm not sure you would be able to tell the difference with the human eye...can you? I dont know, it just seems like a more high end camera for maybe the expert or pro picture taker which I am not and couldnt justify spending over $1000 on a camera. Plus, I could never buy used (I like warrantys) I think I can grow with this camera and probably get great use out of it for years to come

Imperialdiscus
07-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Standard Nikkor Lenses work just fine with the digitals, you just don't get autofocus.

As a Photographer, I prefer adjusting the focus myself anyway.

Now why would a Nikon Lover buy Canon digital? and a used one at that? Simple, I didn't have any Nikon lenses that would be compatible with the Nikon digitals and I was blown away at the clarity of the pics the Canon produced at High Iso setting (ISO 800 and above) vs. Nikon and I thought this was a feature that would be useful considering how expensive the wide aparture lenses are and my love for flash-less photography!