PDA

View Full Version : Would this be overstocked?

Kweenshaker
07-10-2006, 09:29 AM
I have a 55 gallon tank that is bare bottom with driftwood and 3 potted plants. Would 12 cardinals, 6 cories and 6 discus be overstocking it? The filters I have are an emperor 400 and an aquaclear 70. I might also add a sponge filter. I will be getting a 90 gallon aquarium eventually, but that won't be for another year or two.

AADiscus
07-10-2006, 09:36 AM
I think that would be alright as long as you do daily wc's of a minimum 20%. Thats your biggest thing to keep in mind if you think you are over stocking a tank. What is your WC routine. If you only do wc's 2 or 3 times a week then yes, I think it would overstocked.

Kweenshaker
07-10-2006, 09:52 AM
I plan to do daily water changes for the most part, although I'm away some weekends, so sometimes the tank would have to go from friday evening to sunday afternoon without a WC. But I'm assuming that would be ok as long as my friday and sunday water changes were quite large? I have the python system, so I can do it in no time. Also, my water doesn't change no matter how much it ages, so I can do it straight from the tap (but only after dechlorinator is added, obviously!) :)

greyhoundfan
07-10-2006, 10:56 AM
WC's are important and skies the limit. I've seen posts on this board from someone with 25+ healthy discus in a 55G tank. Of course this person does daily WCs.

Kweenshaker
07-10-2006, 12:44 PM
wow....25 in a 55? That's a lot!!

I just want to have a nice number of fish without causing too much work for myself. So if half a dozen will be ok with my cories and tetras, I am happy :)