PDA

View Full Version : Did he eat a Gerbil??? Help!

bikhu
07-15-2006, 07:25 AM
HI
I have an adult Golden x Yellow (looks like a marlboro red) in a tank with several other fish. All water parameters are normal and everyone in the tank looks and is acting great but... this one fish ls so swollen he looks like he ate a gerbil. (or a golf ball or something) I discovered this last evening and treated with 2 tbs Epsom salt/10 gal. Other than this bloated abdomen the fish looks good. No discoloration no clamped fins, eyes clear, swimming throughout the tank etc.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
peter

Cosmo
07-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Peter,

Only other thoughts would be worms and/or a bad bacterial infection. If the salts don't clear him/her you might try some prazi and have kanamycin on hand.. if it is worms, you'll almost certainly have to deal with a nasty infection when the worms die :(

Good luck
Jim

poconogal
07-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Peter,

Only other thoughts would be worms and/or a bad bacterial infection. If the salts don't clear him/her you might try some prazi and have kanamycin on hand.. if it is worms, you'll almost certainly have to deal with a nasty infection when the worms die :(

Good luck
Jim
Could also be worms that Prazi does not treat. For that piperazine or levamisole (spelling??) is needed. I believe Prazi treats tape and flat worms. Piperzine and leva.... treat round worms, etc.

Carol_Roberts
07-16-2006, 10:45 AM
If constipation should look "pinched" behind bloat. Should be shimmying and look uncomfortable, have balance problems. IF swimming normally in tank may well be bad infection or tumor . . . very hard to cure.

bikhu
07-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Hi Carol,
I was thinking the same thing. This condition appeared literally overnight. Should I try treating with Neomycin or is it time to consider euthanizing?
Thanks
peter

Carol_Roberts
07-17-2006, 06:10 PM
I would try the Neo . . . if you catch it early enough he may recover.