PDA

View Full Version : removing a parent

cobaltblue
07-15-2006, 11:22 PM
Okay, after losing all my free swimmers about 6 times now, ive decided to try and pull one of the parents out. My 40 or so wigglers should be free swimming by tomorrow. I have no idea which parents has been eating them, as it usually happens during the night ( yes, lights are left on ). Is there a general preference on which parents to pull??
Also, should i pull one parent tonight, or wait until they start free swimming tomorrow?

White Worm
07-16-2006, 02:46 AM
You need to find out who the culprit is and pull it before it makes a snack out of your fry.

Ryan
07-16-2006, 03:05 AM
I guess there's always the chance that both parents are eating the fry. It may take you twice as long, but you could try pulling one this time and observing. If the fry go missing, then you know you removed the wrong parent. If they spawn again and you remove the other parent and the fry STILL disappear, I guess you know what that means :(

Is this a young pair? Practice makes perfect.

Ryan

cobaltblue
07-16-2006, 03:16 AM
Yes Ryan, they are a pretty young pair. The female i am not too sure about, but the male i bought off Glenn just about 6 months ago, and he was only about 5-6 months old at that time, so a year old at most. They are both parenting so well right now, retrieving the runaway fry and spitting them back on the cone, i am wondering if i should just leave them and let them try once again. Tomorrow morning will be the big test, ill see how many fry are left. :)

Kindredspirit
07-16-2006, 03:28 AM
If they spawn again and you remove the other parent and the fry STILL disappear, I guess you know what that means :(

Ryan

I will be honest in my reply and say ...Nope I dont:confused: They are both eating them? Well....lol!

AADiscus
07-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Who is guarding the eggs more, mom or dad??? I have found with our pairs that if someone is eating the eggs it is normally the female. I would start by pulling your female. You need to do it before they free swim so it is easier to remove her.

Kindredspirit
07-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Angela ~ why wld it be easier to remove her? You mean to catch her? If they start to free swim would they still eat them? You have taught me so much in this sec woman!

Not that I will ever need it ~ but if you ask you Husband I need more tanks!

Marie ~

LizStreithorst
07-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Who is guarding the eggs more, mom or dad??? I have found with our pairs that if someone is eating the eggs it is normally the female. I would start by pulling your female. You need to do it before they free swim so it is easier to remove her.

I agree.

AADiscus
07-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Marie, With a few of our pairs the female is the one that likes to eat caviar. lol If you are going to take a fish out the best time is before they free swim. That way you don't get fry in with her/him when you move. One parent can raise the fry by themselves. The pic in Andrews thread with all the babies in a 120 gal. The dad is the one that raise all them by himself.

Ryan
07-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Yep, it's funny... the female is almost always the first to go. I've seen tons of posts where dad is raising fry alone. Believe it or not, I've had this with most of my angelfish pairs as well. Usually dad does an awesome job guarding fry and tending wrigglers, but mom seems to get frustrated first and start eating them...

Ryan

cobaltblue
07-16-2006, 04:24 PM
The male was the one doing almost all the fanning of the eggs and was guarding the wrigglers while on the cone. I should have removed the female last night. This morning there are only 4 free swimmers left. Next time for sure i will remove the female as soon as the wriggler stage hits. Maybe even right after fertilzation. THanks for the advice.

Kindredspirit
07-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Next time for sure i will remove the female as soon as the wriggler stage hits. Maybe even right after fertilzation. THanks for the advice.

So in order to do this you have to post a 24/7 vigil at the tank? Or one cld miss it and lose again? Seems like a lot of work and time ~ Although to experience it once would be hella cool!

Good luck Chris!! Did you get my African Info? Did ya get any Africans YET? lol!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

Kindredspirit
07-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Marie, With a few of our pairs the female is the one that likes to eat caviar. lol If you are going to take a fish out the best time is before they free swim. That way you don't get fry in with her/him when you move. One parent can raise the fry by themselves. The pic in Andrews thread with all the babies in a 120 gal. The dad is the one that raise all them by himself.

Thanks Angela! I do remember reading numerous times that Pops' raises the fry ~ I have a rather dumb question....once again...if both male and female look identical how wld you not mix them up in order to remove them? Do you know what I mean? Now I wld def remove the wrong dayum fish and ....

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

Green Country Discus
07-16-2006, 06:22 PM
dumb question....once again...if both male and female look identical how wld you not mix them up in order to remove them?

Marie, Marie, Marie...LOL...:D Does Mr Pretzel look like miss AB Pigeon?? :p

ps: JK LMAO

AADiscus
07-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Marie, after you have watched your fish long enough in a breeding tank, you know which one is mom and which one is dad. They will have different traits and they do look different. Dad might have a tail coming off his top fin where mom doesn't. etc.

Kindredspirit
07-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Thank YOU Angela! I got it I got it...I knew there had to be a way to tell the dif and size was all I cld come up with at the moment ~

Don't talk to me Cliff... ( oops..ANDREW:) ) ( couldnt help myself )You are so mean man http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_11_23.gif

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

Green Country Discus
07-17-2006, 01:17 PM
ROTFLMAO :D

Bob