PDA

View Full Version : Quick, is it OK to use CBW if they froze?

tpl*co
07-18-2006, 08:29 PM
My fridge must have been set too low since my worm keeper of live California Black Worms had ice in it and part of my worms had froze! New batch too! :mad: Is it OK to still use or should I throw them out? I've rinsed them very well and the water is running darker I guess from dead worms but some are still wiggling (I guess the lucky unfrozen ones).

So should they go into the tank or the trash?

Tina

lhforbes12
07-18-2006, 08:32 PM
I've had this happen to me, I did exactly what you did Tina. I kept the live ones and fed them, no problems.

tpl*co
07-18-2006, 08:37 PM
Good! I rinsed them really well until the water ran clear, and was thinking hmmmm, maybe I should post this question before dumping some in the tank. Good news since this is the start of a new batch of worms I got on Sunday!

Tina

lhforbes12
07-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I buy them by the pound, I can't afford to just throw them away.

Cosmo
07-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Had that happen to me a few times when I used to buy them. For some reason, the container too far back on one shelf would freeze over on occassion (cheap fridge) ... threw away the block of ice, rinsed the live ones and all was well :)

Jim

lhforbes12
07-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Had that happen to me a few times when I used to buy them. For some reason, the container too far back on one shelf would freeze over on occassion (cheap fridge) ... threw away the block of ice, rinsed the live ones and all was well :)

Jim

Yep, exactly Jim
Mine are in a little "bar" fridge in the basement, the thing is horrible for doing things like that.

April
07-19-2006, 01:52 AM
just watch..if they turn white when you put them in the tank..it can bloat and kill your fish. i have at times..seen worms that went white and died off right away in the tank..bad water..too high heat..no idea..or bad worms..and they are instant ammonia .
they are deadly. got that from a good source..cary..from great lakes discus.

Kindredspirit
07-19-2006, 05:02 AM
Thanks April ~ good info to know!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

Tony_S
07-19-2006, 08:22 AM
I agree with April 100% proceed with great caution...

Tony

aqua
07-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Just rinse them until the water is clear. If the worms don't turn white, they are ready feed those hungry discus. I do this all the time and don't have a problem.