PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Discus Turkey mix

wayne
07-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Thanks to all that welcomed me to the forum. I would like some opinions on feeding discus ground turkey. I purchased some of my Red Melons and Red Marlboro's from a breeder and they are very beautiful fish. He fed the fish a mixture of ground turkey, spirulina and vitamins pressed flat in zip loc bags and frozen.:confused: . I have since made up the same mixture and the fish just love it. They will also eat beef heart and frozen blood worms but they do not seem to care for frozen brine shrimp. They will not touch any dry food. As I said in my last post I have kept many types of fish but I am new to Discus. I was wondering if anyone else had ever heard of feeding Discus a turkey mixture.

April
07-19-2006, 01:49 AM
i used it before..i also used turkey hearts. had to order them..from a turkey processing plant. far easier to prepare than beefheart.
i have heard though..that turkey is very rich. if they love it..and they eat it and doing well.. you know the saying..if it aint broke..dont fix it.
just keep an eye on your water..watch for oil slicks..or clouding..if it stays good..carry on.

Evan
07-19-2006, 09:26 AM
I used ground turkey before, pressed in bags like you describe. The fish ate no problem.

The biggest argument against it that I have seen is that people are worried about getting salmonella poisoning themselves.

wayne
07-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the input. I have also made a mixture of the the same mix with several dry discus foods added and they still seem to like it . I have found that if I shred a small pile from the frozen block then feed the fish they can eat it faster with less pollution. Water stays crystal clear , no sheen what so ever. I also test nitrates every day. So far everything seems fine . The fish Are growing still. The only draw back is they don't seem to get very hungary between feedings so I have cut back to twice a day.

Thanks again for the response.

Tony_S
07-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Ive never used turkey myself, but its not an uncommon additive for discus 'home mixes'.
One of the Discus University Mods, Larry Matincheck (ShinShin) Is a big proponant of turkey....I believe he uses 99% fatfree turkey breast.

Hook up with him...he'll tell you all you want to know.

Tony

Kindredspirit
07-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Not to hi-jack your thread here Wayne... but I swear I read some where recently that a member adds DEER meat and feeds.....

That was a first for me:p

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif