PDA

View Full Version : Sizes of Mail Order discus

jake
07-19-2006, 07:27 AM
Somewhere on this site I read a criticism of Jack Watley's discus as 'too small', my words, not the posters, their's were quite stronger, this differs from what I have seen, some 2+ " ones were closer to 3", and two bags donated to the Greater Detroit Aquarium Club auction last oct were blues pushing 4" .

My point being has anyone else here had criticism for the Watley discus size they ordered ? What about other suppliers ?

Also in the critique I read was the word " overpriced" and I wonder which variety they spoke of ? I have seen numerous other suppliers with much higher prices listed then Watleys advertised prices. Some of them sponsors here.

I am curious as to what the 'going market' is of different varietys, keeping in mind subjective parameters of quality. Poor quality is generally cheap, not always, but higher priced isnot necessarily higher quality.

Input ? Opinions ?

jake levi

Curran MI

btw, I wrote one of the sponsors last week, twice, still havent heard back.

07-19-2006, 09:12 AM
All of my original discus were from Gabe at Wattley's and I was satisfied for the most part. mine were 2 to 3 inches when I got them so size was fine. I don't think Wattley Discus grow to be the largest but overall very good quality. I had issue with a couple that he sent me and without an argument he gave me credit. I continue to speak with him periodically for input

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-19-2006, 11:21 AM
I'd hardly call Wattley's overpriced. Yes they are more expensive than your average Mail Order discus but when you buy from one of the best you have to expect a higher price since you are dealing with higher quality as a rule.

Ed13
07-20-2006, 12:59 AM
If you want Wattley discus you have to pay the premium cost regardless of whether someone thinks the're the best or not.
There is a difference in size between the ones for the public and the ones offered to stores with whole distributorship.
Personally, I preffer the wattley line, more because the rep, the exp and the way they think of customers. That does not mean that 100% of the discus are show quality, but .....

jake
07-20-2006, 06:15 AM
I posted a reply yesterday, it doesnt show up,

anyhow, I have bought from Wattley years gone by, quite a few, and the size was 2" + for 2" fish, and they arrived quickly and in good shape. I was quite satisfied. From that I was surprised at the post I'd read.

The pricing I see advertised now is under some of the sponsors advertised prices on some varieties,

jake