PDA

View Full Version : White Blotches

BobB
07-19-2006, 10:08 AM
I pulled two of my Red Melons out of my showtank. I noticed they had white blotches on their bodies. The blotches seem to be more of a loss of coloration then anything else. No sign of distress or lack of appetite. Thoughts plz.

AmberC
07-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Do you have or could you get pictures?

Amber

BobB
07-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Do you have or could you get pictures?

Amber
I will try to post a picture tonight.

Audrey
07-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Bob, I seen the white blotches on the fish in the pic you posted. Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. I have a Red Melon at home in my 125-gal tank with 9 other discus. For some reason, my Red Melon occasionally gets this white excess slime coat build up. It is usually higher up on the body than what your fish shows in the pic. The fish will usually do a little scratching and show a loss of appetite, then a few days later the fish is back to 100% normal and is the bully of the tank again. The 9 other discus in the tank remain fine and unaffected. Make sure you are regularly rinsing out sponge filters and cleaning your HOB filters when they are due. That always seems to clear it up quicker. I was always afraid of rinsing out sponge filters too often and killing too much beneficial bacterial, but I find cleaning them too often is way better than not often enough.

I just find it really odd that it is always my Red Melon that exhibits this. Hard to say what your fish has without a clearer picture. Good luck, you have come to the best place for help.

Audrey

BobB
07-21-2006, 02:27 PM
That is what I find odd about these 2 discus, they show no sign of distress. I keep plastic plants in the tank nothing else. I have an eheim canister filter which I do the routine maintenance on and above all the water changes using aged water.

Audrey
07-21-2006, 03:16 PM
It has me baffled, why it is always my Red Melon.

How long have yours had this? I find it usually goes away on it's own in about 3 - 4 days.

BobB
07-21-2006, 04:21 PM
I have had them about 2 months, I thought at first they were changing color.