PDA

View Full Version : Hello from South Australia

Craig&Amanda
07-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Hello everyone, we just joined Simply and wanted to say hi. We have 25 discus and joined the forum in the hope of gaining knowledge in our quest to breed. We would appreciate anyones help and advise. Amanda.

lhforbes12
07-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Welcome to Simply Amanda & Craig,
Hopefully you can learn as well as contribute. 25 discus is a lot, how many tanks, and what sizes are they?

Larry

Craig&Amanda
07-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Hi Larry, We started out with two pairs of discus but came across a hobbiest who was moving interstate and had to find homes for EVERYTHING he had! So we now have 25 in total. We have a community tank with around 9 in that are on the smaller size and then lots of pairs in 3 ft tanks. The two original sets we started with have been laying eggs but eating them. We had one set that turned into wrigglers but then only last a few days which was sad! We have been doing a lot of research so that we can hopefully get things moving a little. Any advise that you can give would be greatly appreciated. Amanda.

lhforbes12
07-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Amanada,
The best advice I can give you about your breeders is to have patience. Almost all discus make poor parents at first, but almost all discus end up being good parents after a number of tries. You could always try raising them artificially but that is a problem unto itself. Personally I just let them keep going until they "get it right", they almost always do. btw using meters amd liters is perfectly acceptable, I'm sure that would probavbly be easier for you. I take it you and Craig are just beginning your discus journey, have fun with it and if you need help this is certainly a wonderful place to start.

Larry

btw one thing I forgot to ask is; are your breeders in their own tanks? If you put a pair in a tank alone your chaces of success are MUCH greater.

jeep
07-19-2006, 08:44 PM
South Australia is big. What city are you from? We have members from all over Australia...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=33303

Craig&Amanda
07-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Hi Larry, yes we have the two original pairs in a tank by themselves and they have bred quite a few times. They are due to breed again and this time we are going to try and take the female out because its her that instigates the eating! Out of the new discus, we have chosen three or four that look like they might pair up and put in one tank. But we are just watching them at the moment to see how they behave before we pair them off. We are hopeing that we have identified their sex correctly! What discus do you have? Amanda.

Craig&Amanda
07-19-2006, 09:39 PM
We are from Adelaide. :-)

April
07-20-2006, 02:05 AM
hello there..and welcome. you need to go see the aussie aussie aussie 3 post..in the community section. they are all there. and theres also a sponsor..in the sponsor section from oz..who has very beautiful discus. ive even had his discus shipped to me twice in canada. : )
of course..theres the rest of the board..with lots of info etc.
glad you found simply. :wave:

lhforbes12
07-20-2006, 02:13 AM
Hi Larry, yes we have the two original pairs in a tank by themselves and they have bred quite a few times. They are due to breed again and this time we are going to try and take the female out because its her that instigates the eating! Out of the new discus, we have chosen three or four that look like they might pair up and put in one tank. But we are just watching them at the moment to see how they behave before we pair them off. We are hopeing that we have identified their sex correctly! What discus do you have? Amanda.

Amanda,
I have 18 RT's, a blss, 2 Cobalts, and a mutt. I'm will soon be getting 10 ss fry. At the moment they are spread out over 4 tanks ranging from 110 liters to 500 liters. All are juveniles except 2 RTs and the BLSS

Rod
07-20-2006, 03:44 AM
Hi Amanda and Craig, Welcome to simply discus, great to see more aussies on board.

Rod

steve.ryall
07-20-2006, 05:36 AM
Welcome to SD Austrailian folk.

Steve

Kindredspirit
07-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Welcome to Simply you guys!!! I have always my entire life wanted to go to Australia!! You are very lucky:)

Other than posting some pics of your discus and set up I would LOVE some pictures of the area where you live;)

...and every where else too!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_13.gif

April
07-21-2006, 01:48 AM
well...i got bloomin roo pics..sent to me..and koala pics...and scenery pics..kinda like an armchair traveller. : )

Kindredspirit
07-21-2006, 05:36 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_11_6.gif April you are too funny!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_11_13.gif (...Now Paul told me once what this meant....but I so forget....hope itz not an insult:o)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

Darren's Discus
08-04-2006, 08:09 PM
gday guys i currently live in sunny townsville been here 12 years i am origanally from adelaide myself and had good success breeding discus there although the tap water is very hard and the ph high up here in townsville the water is perfect for discus,now if you would like good advice you can go see a guy called micheal baumann he has just opened a shop down south near hackam he's very knowlegable he had about 30 breeding pairs when he was up here.

cheers