PDA

View Full Version : UV Filter

MiamiCiclids
07-20-2006, 01:01 AM
New to discus and I have a few questions. I was Advised to buy a UV filter what is you advise on this and what make or model Would best?

I read on threads that bare bottom is best. But I really want to put gravel I can compromise and just put a very light layer would it be best to put in fine gravel or more course?

The tank size I have is just a 30 Gallon Hex How many would be best kept for a tank that size? Of Course i will buy Juvi Discuss.

Last Question I also read that a good comunity fish that would go along with the disccus are the Rasbora Tetra becasue they are from the same region where Discuss are from. Are there any other Tetra that can be added that u may know of?? ok sorry one last one. Would algea eaters in the tank be a bad thing??

Ok i guess that all for now. LOL This is my first venture in the Disscus World .
I do have anoother Tank. I have a 30 Long tank. I have my prize Blue Rams communty tank.

Anyway any advise would be great.
Thanks
:wave:

poconogal
07-20-2006, 09:02 AM
New to discus and I have a few questions. I was Advised to buy a UV filter what is you advise on this and what make or model Would best?

I read on threads that bare bottom is best. But I really want to put gravel I can compromise and just put a very light layer would it be best to put in fine gravel or more course?

The tank size I have is just a 30 Gallon Hex How many would be best kept for a tank that size? Of Course i will buy Juvi Discuss.

Last Question I also read that a good comunity fish that would go along with the disccus are the Rasbora Tetra becasue they are from the same region where Discuss are from. Are there any other Tetra that can be added that u may know of?? ok sorry one last one. Would algea eaters in the tank be a bad thing??

Ok i guess that all for now. LOL This is my first venture in the Disscus World .
I do have anoother Tank. I have a 30 Long tank. I have my prize Blue Rams communty tank.

Thanks
Hi Miami - since you will buy juvies, most feel BB would be best, or perhaps just a very light covering of gravel, just to camoflauge the BB (I hate how it looks, I have 1 inch gravel bed, but I have 4 to 5" fish). I assume you will be vaccuming your gravel, so I'd go to a more medium size, just so you're not vaccuming up fine gravel when doing WCs.

As for UV, I've never had one since I have an HOB filter, but never had problems without one, either, but for my next tank I'm thinking of going canister and getting a UV, since I am now on a private well with water that of course is not chlorinated.

If you plan on keeping your 30 and not upgrading to larger tank, then I would plan on allowing 10 gals. per adult Discus; perhaps you can get 4 in there with good WC schedule and filtration. Of course, if you plan on getting a larger tank later, the 10 gal. per would still apply but your number can be larger at the outset.

Tankmates - Cardinal Tetras (not Neon Tetras, though) are very good, they can take higher temps, too, Rummy Nose Tetras are good and reported to be the early warning system of inferior Discus water, as their noses get paler if water is not good. I think many of the other Tetras will also do. You can also get some Blue Rams, or some Corydoras (there are some that can take higher temps). For algae eaters I would try Bristle Nose Plecos, as they very rarely try to suck the slime off the Discus, as other Plecos are more likely to do. The BN Plecos also stay smaller, I think grow to max of about 4 inches.

Connie

MiamiCiclids
07-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Thank you very much connie for your information.
I dont plan on up grading to a bigger tank becasue I have limited space for a bigger tank. Infact ho I mentioned above I have a already a 30 gallong long tank and as a gift they are giving me a 30 hex tank which i plan to keep the Discuss in. 4 juvi Disscus would great.

Thank you again for helping me out

Marc

Ed13
07-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Aren't hex tanks really tall and narrow? 4 discus may not be too comfortable in a 30 hex, even less with other tank-mates..
Although, not ideal, the 30 long may be a better option as long as you do daily water changes.

MiamiCiclids
07-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Aren't hex tanks really tall and narrow? 4 discus may not be too comfortable in a 30 hex, even less with other tank-mates..
Although, not ideal, the 30 long may be a better option as long as you do daily water changes.

Well I will do the best I can. I really want to raise Discus but the 30 Hex is my only option for now. I hope in the future I will get a bigger tank like 100.

I really want some discus. I think it will do I will not get anymore than 4 of them for that tank and as i mention i'm getting juvies in hopes they adapt to the tank size.:angel:

poconogal
07-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Well I will do the best I can. I really want to raise Discus but the 30 Hex is my only option for now. I hope in the future I will get a bigger tank like 100.

I really want some discus. I think it will do I will not get anymore than 4 of them for that tank and as i mention i'm getting juvies in hopes they adapt to the tank size.:angel:
Miami, yes, its good that you will not get any more than 4, that would be maximum for that tank once the Discus become larger. I would also go easy on adding tankmates, maybe just a Bristle Nose Pleco for algae and bottom clean up or a small school (about 9) of Cardinal Tetras. If you use a UV filter I understand that it filters out algae spores, so then I don't see need for the Pleco.

Connie

discusdave
07-24-2006, 09:40 AM

Thanks

An ultraviolet filter is far from standard equipment for a discus tank. You don't need it unless you have a centralized system with a lot of different tanks. For a single discus tank this is overkill, IMO. Regular water changes and proper quarantine procedures are more than enough to keep your discus healthy.

Did the party that recommended you get a UV also want to sell it to you? Look for possible profit motive in the advisor as well.

Regards,