PDA

View Full Version : Hiding Discus

RedneckDaveAb
07-20-2006, 09:56 AM
We have an adult discus which (for the last few days) hides all day and isn't eating much. Why would he be hiding so much? It doesn't appear he has any obvious injuries and his fins seem to be going just fine.

They are well fed on Tetrabits, blood worms and NLS, temp is 82, water change done yesterday

Dave

RyanH
07-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Is he getting picked on and chased around? Are there pairs forming in the tank? They could be getting overly aggressive if they are guarding a spawning site.

I would also watch for white feces and dark color. It could be hexamita flagellates.

hth
-Ryan

AADiscus
07-20-2006, 08:06 PM
I would raise your temp up to about 84-86.

RedneckDaveAb
07-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Actually the shack up watched em for an hour or so and found the runt of the tank is seriously picking on this (near) adult

Other than separating them and giving more hiding spaces is there anything else I can do????

Dave :(

RyanH
07-21-2006, 02:12 AM
How many fish do you have in the tank?

RedneckDaveAb
07-22-2006, 12:54 AM
We have nine discus (including the runts) in a 70 gallon tank. This group has been together for at least a year

It appears whenever he comes out the little one pecks at him until he goes back into his "hiding" spot

Yes, there are two other bonded pairs in the tank. They try to do the egg thing but our water is too hard for them to be viable (the boss of the tank eats em anyway)

Any thoughts?

Dave