PDA

View Full Version : Spyware Tool

oodi
07-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Since some have been having computer trouble lately, I thought I would post a link to another good (and free) spyware tool:

http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/

I hope some of you find it productive!

Judi
:)

jeep
07-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Excellent!! Found a Trojan that the rest all missed!!!

used2bBubbles
07-21-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm wondering if you have had problems with the newest release of Webroot Spyware. I have had to uninstall it 3x because it was slowing down my computer. I finally found an article on their site saying that it used much more RAM, so if your computer was running slow, you needed to go into your start up items and delete some to give yourself more RAM.

So far I've done all that and am not 100% convinced this will work, so I still may uninstall it again. Webroot was rated the #1 spyware product just recently, so I'm going to try to continue with it.

Thanks for the link you provided. Never hurts to check again.

Kathi

tpl*co
07-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Wow, just ran Ad-Aware prior to running this one and this found more stuff on top of the other run. Kinda makes me nervous though it runs from the web though.

Tina

oodi
07-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Kathi,

Yes I did! That's why I uninstalled it, and never used it again. It also conflicted with some other programs that I use.

Tina,

I am currently using 5 different spyware programs, as inevitably, one will find something the others didn't. I can understand your hesitation about it running from the web, but I assure you that it's legitimate. Being the free version of this company's product is just the icing on the cake, given the fact that you don't have to install a complete program, and potentially run into the problems that Kathi and I did with another program.

The programs I use are:

Ad-Aware (free)
Spybot Search and Destroy (free)
Windows Defender (free from Microsoft)
Trend Micro (free)
Pest Patrol (a paid program, but worth it)

Judi

tpl*co
07-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Yes, I use ad-aware and spybot also. I'm just scared that maybe since it's scanning your computer from the web that maybe it's looking in on files also? (OK maybe I'm just paranoid, LOL).

Tina

used2bBubbles
07-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Tina, you know, you just can't help but be paranoid anymore about anything on the web. I have been reading a newsletter about all the garbage and spyware Windows has been installing through its updates. I've always had my computer set on "automatic" which means they just come on in. This newsletter says not to do that and they tell you how to change it.

So I've changed my settings and I'll be darned if they go BACK to automatic. Bothers me, because these guys that write the newsletters really know what they're talking about. Problem is, I don't always understand them...they're way over my head! So I try to get what I can out of the newsletters, but sometimes a little knowledge can be dangerous!

Kindredspirit
07-21-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm wondering if you have had problems with the newest release of Webroot Spyware. I have had to uninstall it 3x because it was slowing down my computer. I finally found an article on their site saying that it used much more RAM, so if your computer was running slow, you needed to go into your start up items and delete some to give yourself more RAM.

So far I've done all that and am not 100% convinced this will work, so I still may uninstall it again. Webroot was rated the #1 spyware product just recently, so I'm going to try to continue with it.

Thanks for the link you provided. Never hurts to check again.

Kathi

I hated Webroot!! I can not remember why but I got rid of it Kathi a long time ago and there are some parts I still can not get rid of!

lose it:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

used2bBubbles
07-21-2006, 12:15 PM
I hated Webroot!! I can not remember why but I got rid of it Kathi a long time ago and there are some parts I still can not get rid of!

lose it:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

No, Marie! Spybot Spyware is rated as the best in spyware. You just have to deal with the little quirks in it. But if you are as disgusted with it as I was, I don't blame you.

Try this link. It has several free spywares and other protective softwares and it is by PC World, so it's reputable. http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp

Better to be safe than sorry!

Kathi

Let me know if this doesn't help you.

Kindredspirit
07-21-2006, 12:53 PM
No, Marie! Spybot Spyware is rated as the best in spyware. You just have to deal with the little quirks in it. But if you are as disgusted with it as I was, I don't blame you.

Try this link. It has several free spywares and other protective softwares and it is by PC World, so it's reputable. http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp

Better to be safe than sorry!

Kathi

Let me know if this doesn't help you.

Actually I have great Spyware! I have Ad-Ware SE and Aol offers a great Security System ~ Finally! Thanks tho:)

Kindredspirit
07-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Since some have been having computer trouble lately, I thought I would post a link to another good (and free) spyware tool:

http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/

I hope some of you find it productive!

Judi

Well here is how I found it:(

I clicked to install and scan ~ it scanned but it has not appeared on desktop:confused: :confused: ~ I did a search and there were numerous applications found none of which will open as it is only jumbled print! ~ and one from 3/25??:confused:

Apparently unless I am missing something....you have to go back to the link/page to use everytime you want to scan? :confused:

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

used2bBubbles
07-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who had trouble with that one. I set the software to scan, and after it was done, I got a screen that listed several things it found. But at the bottom, the only choices to click on were "new scan" "restore items (something like that)" "view results" and "exit." I knew I didn't want to scan again, and I didn't want to exit. But what did restore items mean? I went into their customer service area, poked around, went into a couple other links and finally figured I'd just see what "view results" meant. That was it. All the stuff it found was listed and then there was an option to remove it, then exit. Very confusing for a first-time user!

I hope this helps you, Marie. (Why do they have to make stuff so hard to understand????)

Kathi

candyl70
07-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Hey Kathi, you have to click on view results and then you have the option to delete the things that it found.

Marie~ the reason that you didn't have an icon on your desktop is because you have to download the 30 day free trial.... and then you have to pay for it after that. So...... it's not REALLY free. Don't get me wrong... it found a lot of things that my others applications didn't find.... but I just don't like that fact that it is only free for a few days :mad:

tpl*co
07-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Actually I have great Spyware! I have Ad-Ware SE and Aol offers a great Security System ~ Finally! Thanks tho:)

I found AOL checks were cr*p and always left something for adaware to find :(. AOL was so super SLOOOOOOWWWWW too (and it would run it's checks at odd times and slow things up even more or crash the system). (we had dial-up :(). We switched to SBC and love it (well, of course after AOL, LOL.

Tina

oodi
07-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Yes, you will have to go to that link each time you want to run a scan. You will also have to go through the same processes each time you run a scan. It is a web based removal tool, and will not install a program on your computer, which is why you aren't finding an icon for it.

After the scan completed, there should have been a button at the bottom of the scan window which says "Scan Details." After that, you have the option to remove the pesky critters it found.

Judi

used2bBubbles
07-21-2006, 02:01 PM
After the scan completed, there should have been a button at the bottom of the scan window which says "Scan Details." After that, you have the option to remove the pesky critters it found.

Judi

Thanks, Candy and Judi. Wish I had posted this before I spent all that time looking for an answer! Their instructions started out well, but after you did the scan, they left you high and dry about what to do next. :(

Kathi

oodi
07-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Sorry about that, Kathi... I tried to post a screenshot, but since I had recently done a scan, the button didn't show up, as the scan didn't find anything.

Judi

Kindredspirit
07-21-2006, 02:31 PM
slow things up even more or crash the system). (we had dial-up :(). Tina

Thats why;)

oodi
07-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Hey Kathi, you have to click on view results and then you have the option to delete the things that it found.

Marie~ the reason that you didn't have an icon on your desktop is because you have to download the 30 day free trial.... and then you have to pay for it after that. So...... it's not REALLY free. Don't get me wrong... it found a lot of things that my others applications didn't find.... but I just don't like that fact that it is only free for a few days :mad:

Candy,

The trial version you're referring to is for the actual program to install on your computer, which will provide active protection. The web based scan remains free.

Judi

used2bBubbles
07-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Sorry about that, Kathi... I tried to post a screenshot, but since I had recently done a scan, the button didn't show up, as the scan didn't find anything.

Judi

That's ok; I figured it out...eventually! Aren't computers great???? :(

oodi
07-21-2006, 02:40 PM
LOL... most of the time! But when they aren't, they REALLY aren't! :D

Judi