PDA

View Full Version : Got my first discus...

zekni
07-22-2006, 06:35 AM
.. from a LFS of all places, while I was looking for yellow oscars, of all things. I usually get my fish online. Now, I'm not a stranger to delicate fish, I have about 750 gallons between 10-15 tanks at home. (Friends and family think I'm crazy, hopefully I'll fit in here.. haha).

So, I was looking over the tanks at a LFS, and noticed in the juvie discus tank mostly blues and bland looking, pepper-marked fish, as usual, while two of them really stood out, kind of a red-orange with nice fat white striations (discus strain names boggle me), about 2.5" eyeballed. Upon further inspection, there were two others that were slightly smaller (one was quite a bit smaller at about 1.5") that looked like they might grow into some similar markings.
Ive been watching aquabid for awhile now, looking for some, but I haven't been able to find a good deal yet, but I've never seen nice(r?) looking ones at a LFS. I really don't even know what nice looking is to you all. :) It seemed like a decent price at $24.98 ea. I bought all 4. :D

Anyway, I put them in my 60 gallon barebottom snail tank with some rescue fish, (4 guppies, a dwarf frog, an angel of similar size, and about 4 kinds of snails. I breed the snails to feed to the stingrays.) My QT tank is currently full, or they wouldnt be in the snail tank, but well, I have an addiction. I added prazipro.. cuz.. well, that's just what I add to quarantine fish. But I got on here to do some research and am not familiar with hex and metro.. although most articles seem to assume discus just come with hex.. should I have treated for that first?

Temp is at 86, I'm slowly bringing it up to about 88... good temp?

The two smaller ones are still pretty dark... normal for the next day?

Not sure if they're eating yet, as everytime I come anywhere near the tank, they scatter, but I added garlic-soaked blood worms today, and they did appear interested while poking my head around the corner from about 10' away, but interested and actually eating are often two different things.

And also... should I be adding salt? It's a snail tank, so I'd prefer not to if I absolutely don't have to.. but they could probably stand a half dose.. And I suppose I could fish out at least a starter population to move to some of the other tanks temporarily if its required, but id prefer not to. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes though.

Thanks all, for any of your input.

zek

Kindredspirit
07-22-2006, 10:41 AM
:)
.. from a LFS of all places,

Hey Zek my first discus came from our lfs and I still have her and is doing great! Her name is Ms. Pringles:) However ~ take caution when dealing with lfs....and Qt ~ very important ~

Now, I'm not a stranger to delicate fish, I have about 750 gallons between 10-15 tanks at home. (Friends and family think I'm crazy, hopefully I'll fit in here.. haha).

Wow! Impressive ~ We love pictures here so bring em!! You will fit in quite nicely here trust me:)

Ive been watching aquabid for awhile now, looking for some, but I haven't been able to find a good deal yet, but I've never seen nice(r?) looking ones at a LFS. I really don't even know what nice looking is to you all. :) It seemed like a decent price at $24.98 ea. I bought all 4. :D

I actually saw some discus on Ebay last night!!! I wonder if they sell? There are so many here Zek that could answer much better than me:o There is the Discus University here and may help to show you what "nice is to Simply"! Check it out!

Anyway, I put them in my 60 gallon barebottom snail tank with some rescue fish, (4 guppies, a dwarf frog, an angel of similar size, and about 4 kinds of snails. I breed the snails to feed to the stingrays.) My QT tank is currently full, or they wouldnt be in the snail tank, but well, I have an addiction. I added prazipro.. cuz.. well, that's just what I add to quarantine fish. But I got on here to do some research and am not familiar with hex and metro.. although most articles seem to assume discus just come with hex.. should I have treated for that first?

Temp is at 86, I'm slowly bringing it up to about 88... good temp?

The two smaller ones are still pretty dark... normal for the next day?

Not sure if they're eating yet, as everytime I come anywhere near the tank, they scatter, but I added garlic-soaked blood worms today, and they did appear interested while poking my head around the corner from about 10' away, but interested and actually eating are often two different things.

And also... should I be adding salt? It's a snail tank, so I'd prefer not to if I absolutely don't have to.. but they could probably stand a half dose.. And I suppose I could fish out at least a starter population to move to some of the other tanks temporarily if its required, but id prefer not to. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes though.

zek

Zek ~ I would have put the new discus alone in a tank ~ but thatz me;) Sometimes itz just not practical but def a good thing to do ~

The best temp I think is 84-86 but some can add to that ~ Many here believe that adding meds without really knowing why or what you are treating for is not a good thing ~

They need to settle in ....turn off the lights for a bit.... some do believe that salt is a med as well ~ see what other's advice is on this ~ BUT...salt and snails?? I do not know ~

hth a little:p

Soooooo......Welcome to Simply!! And dont forget the pics!!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_2.gif

marilyn1998
07-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Zek,

I am one that doesnt beleive in adding meds just to add them or prophylactically. Alot of the meds are antibiotics, which overused or used incorrectly (too short) can build up resistance to diseases when you need them the most.

If they arent showing signs, I would just watch them. Salt added to the tank is to help them sttle down. THe higher temp (I keep mine at 85-86) is good as it will get them to eat. As far as them being dark, as long as they arent facing the back, nose down at a 45 degree angle you are ok. They will be skittish.

What are your water params? And your WC schedule? That is going to be importnat to this juvies. Also, feed them high protein food and some FBW or FBS at least 3-4 times a day at that size. Some feed up to 6, hence the large frequent WC's you see here.

Get them used to you coming and going and they wont be skittish due to interruptions. The snails are ok for tank mates, (tho I Would have kept them alone for 4 weeks, but I understand.) And the guppies may get eaten... the frog I dont know. The angel will prolly compete for the food and mot likely win, so watch at meal time that the discus get enough to eat.

Look at the pooh, thick and dark is good. White, stringy, or worms is bad. Come back with a pic and we can help you. Also, watch their tummies for bloating. THis can be due to overeating, constipation or worms. Again, we can help you.

Congrats on the additions!! My first 2 discus were turqs from a LFS that grew to 9". I knew nothing about them, had gravel, and had them 4 years. :)
I had alot of good advice from a LFS owner, which is VERY rare. But she was a hobbyist too, and the discus were from her colection. I lucked out.

Welcome to Simply!!!! And read, read, read!!!! ALso, POST PICS!!!!!;)

zekni
07-23-2006, 06:09 AM
My water params are spot on ammonia 0, nitrite, 0 ph is high here, at 7.8, the tank has been cycled. Because of the reading i've done, I'm doing 50% water changes a day. I've only had them two days.
I am happy to say that they are all lightening up and appear to be back to a normal color. This, though, is an observation from several feet away from the tank, as they still scatter and hide as soon as I get close. I haven't had the chance to observe poop.

Normally, when buying from a reputable breeder, I don't medicate fish either, I just quaranteen.. but I don't trust LFS and usually don't buy from them. I treat these fish for parasites, as they often seem to have them. I treat my wild caught fish for parasites as well. Just seems to nip some problems in the bud.

As for putting them in the snail tank, well, ideally they would have been given thier own tank, but I'm about out of room :D . I figured I could put them in with an angel, frog and some guppies, as they aren't my expensive fish. The snails are feeders anyway. I don't have any tanks that wouldn't harass the angel and eat the guppies. I'm sure by the time they're big enough to eat the gups, I'll have more tank space for them. :) In the meanwhile, they can eat the guppy fry, and it'll be a nice free live, disease free meal.

I'll get pics of my fish up soon. Should I post them in this thread, or start another?

zekni
07-23-2006, 07:52 AM
I posted pics ( the best I could get anyway) of the discus and some of my other fish in the photo gallery, for anyone who wants to take a look. :)

April
07-23-2006, 02:10 PM
hi there..welcome to simply. :wave:
the only thing with the snails..is they are part of the cycle..for worms..snails..birds..the life cycle.
ill go have a boo at your pics.
keep up with the wcs..and im sure you will do fine.
dont leave food laying around..just what they eat at one sitting..once they get going.
theres sponsors on here..and theres also hobbyists in most places in north america...could get some nice homegrown ones..in your area. check it out. a bit more reliable than aquabid. you really have to be extremely careful with quarantine with discus. yours could be carriers..or the new ones..and even a finger in the water..from tank to tank..then..sick fish.
some can be carriers for quite some time.