PDA

View Full Version : important question....but newbie

Kobe
07-24-2006, 03:16 AM
what is quarantine.....how do i do that....and what to do when am quarantining them....do i do the same stuff as if they are in a setteld tank and do i need any med while i am quarantining them...and is it a must if i buy my first and only discus 2 quarantine them(from same place)

poconogal
07-24-2006, 08:04 AM
what is quarantine.....how do i do that....and what to do when am quarantining them....do i do the same stuff as if they are in a setteld tank and do i need any med while i am quarantining them...and is it a must if i buy my first and only discus 2 quarantine them(from same place)
Kobe, quarantine is keeping new fish in a separate tank for several weeks (I would say at least 6) to make sure that they are not carrying any parasites/diseases, so that you do not infect your main tank and any occupants it may have. The size of the QT tank depends on the size of the fish and how many you wish to QT, but I think for Discus, either a 10 or 20 gallon tank will do. A QT tank should be easy to clean, i.e., bare bottom, cycled, filtered and heated as you would your main tank. You can cycle the tank by placing filter media or a sponge from an already established tank into the QT tank or its filter. It is not necessary to medicate unless you find that something is wrong, i.e., gill fluke problem, etc. Just monitor the fish in QT. Even if you have no Discus yet in your main tank, you should still QT so that you do not introduce anything into your main tank.

Connie

greyhoundfan
07-24-2006, 09:41 AM
"and is it a must if i buy my first and only discus 2 quarantine them(from same place)"

Just buying one discus?? 4 or more is what the'll do better in unless they are a matched pair.

Even with proper quarintine and conditions I'm afraid a single discus by itself will not do well.

April
07-24-2006, 10:37 AM
best to set up a tank..get it cycling..and get a group of six if you can. same place..same size..
and also best if you can find a local hobbyist or breeder or someone from the sponsor page...to get decent healthy fish to start with. buying one discus from a lfs spells problems..then discouragement..or..you love it ..then go add more..and thats where the disease comes in. mixing different discus from different sources..unfortuneatley...is a big problem. different pathogens or immunities.
i always started a new tank for a new bunch if i wanted or needed more. separate hoses..nets..wash hands between touching for awhile.
if you have a group..what some people do is put one of their smaller poorer quality in with the new batch after their quarantine time to seeif it gets sick . if either do..then your safe to add.
alot of people just buy one here and there..then add..but its like russian roullette. all of a sudden..your luck runs out. theres nothing worse than a tank full of sick black discus.

Kindredspirit
07-24-2006, 10:56 AM
buying one discus from a lfs spells problems..then discouragement..or..you love it ..then go add more..and thats where the disease comes in.

...or you love it and all goes well ~ then you go for more much later...

Well said April! Perfect in fact:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

Kobe
07-25-2006, 05:18 AM
"and is it a must if i buy my first and only discus 2 quarantine them(from same place)"

Just buying one discus?? 4 or more is what the'll do better in unless they are a matched pair.

Even with proper quarintine and conditions I'm afraid a single discus by itself will not do well.

i didnt mean 2 by one single discus,what i meant is 2 buy my first group of discus from the same tank.

if i knew before a month what is quarantining i wouldnt have given away my 2 tanks (25 gallons)(40 gallons) now i have 2 buy another tank :( ........ sometimes i should just keep things 2 myself

Kenny's Discus
07-25-2006, 07:30 AM
best to set up a tank..get it cycling..and get a group of six if you can. same place..same size..
and also best if you can find a local hobbyist or breeder or someone from the sponsor page...to get decent healthy fish to start with. buying one discus from a lfs spells problems..then discouragement..or..you love it ..then go add more..and thats where the disease comes in. mixing different discus from different sources..unfortuneatley...is a big problem. different pathogens or immunities.
i always started a new tank for a new bunch if i wanted or needed more. separate hoses..nets..wash hands between touching for awhile.
if you have a group..what some people do is put one of their smaller poorer quality in with the new batch after their quarantine time to seeif it gets sick . if either do..then your safe to add.
alot of people just buy one here and there..then add..but its like russian roullette. all of a sudden..your luck runs out. theres nothing worse than a tank full of sick black discus.

You simply cannot say it any better April. Wonderful advice!

Kenny

pcsb23
07-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Kobe,

Quarantine (for us:)) is keeping new fish stock seperate from existing fish stock to assses the new stocks health and the impact of new on old and vice versa.

That said if you are buying a group of new discus from the same source and they are your ONLY fish then you can put them straight into your tank. By only fish I mean you do not have any other fish of any type, not just discus.

Once you own fish any new additions, no matter what they are, need to be qt'd first.

hth,

Kobe
07-25-2006, 08:21 AM
thx ppl...now i think i get it :)