PDA

View Full Version : SiX Months After....

meltinonesmouth
07-25-2006, 01:29 AM
Still obsessed yet have a few things that i would like to share and ask comments amongst fellow enthusiasts in "Simply Discus".I have learned a lot about caring for my fishes through this site checking out all the sticky notes and reading all the comments suggestions and violent reactions of each and every contributer,yet there are some things I have noticed that seem to be odd ,weird or maybe lucky in sometimes.
I bought all my fishes from different LFS here in TORONTO,both locally bred and imported (inspite of all your warnings regarding getting low grade fishes)for the intentions of having them grow to their best capability healthy and lively and not really for breeding or business.
And i have noticed some points that i would like to share with you.

1) My first set up is a 30 gal tank w/gravel substrate and a 2217 can filter going through a hanging filter that came with the tank when i bought it. I started with 6 happy
1 1/2inch to 2inch diameter sized discus(snowfke,snskin,leopard) fed them twice a day morning and evening with hikari brine shrimps,bloodworms,beafheart and some tetra colorbits.
extra feeding on the weekend since im home and can spoil them some more .Changing 15-20%water every other day when i possibly can from my aged 35 gallon trashbin. (with a driftwood inside and a heater at 80 and an airstone inside of it. )

2) On the second month (my tank A)with 6 discus grew so fast to my surprise and saw my first pair of ,shaking like they were cold or having an epileptic seizure, snowflakes lay their eggs on the green intake tube of my filter.
They were around the 4 inch diameter by that time.I had mixed feelings then,because i thought i had to wait for them grow to 6-8 inches before i could see this happen. The white ones grew so much faster than the spotted ones.
It excited me a lot but since the male was too young it ate the eggs right after the female would lay them.Funny thing was the male would shake and try to make a pass on the eggs and then eat them later.
This thing occured at least 2 times in the a span of 8 weeks.Knowing through this site and some breeders I was told that the male is still not ready yet.Unfortunateley my male snowflake died on some unknown cause on the
3rd month He was big and healthy I just saw him one evening close to the sponge of my intake not moving, seeing this shaterred me a bit. This was the time i started my first post.

3)Right after my first month in the hobby, I bought my tank B and moved my SSkins on a bare bottom set up with the exact same system as my tank A has, and bought a pair of juvies (golden ones) to add to the tank A and added 4 (so-called high bodied blue diamond with buldog parents) to the tank B they seem to look like regular blue diamonds to me.
after another month i switched one golden one and the two blue diamond and started my experiment.

tank A has 1 snowflake ,2 leopard 2 blue and 1 golden
tank B has 1 golden 2 blue 2 sskins

since then i have noticed that tank B could not seem to catch up with the growth and the beauty plus the liveliness that i am seeing in tank A.
The golden ones on tank A was better than B and the Blue on tank A was livelier and healthier than B aswell

I thought maybe i needed to add more maybe their just a bit shy so i bought 2 more Blue ones with some spots to keep them lively yet this did not help.

End of July marks my sixth month with my KIDS and I am still hoping that my bare bottom tank B which i still clean every other day would show much livelier healthy fishes than my Tank A which now have a drift wood and plants and only being changed once a week now .

Also to add last night my leopard skins paired up and layed their first batch of eggs on the same intake tube and they they have not eaten them yet.Which motivated me to start this thread to tickle,tease,inspire ,or simply share to all you readers out there both newby and masters of the tank.

Going through this I have learned that we all should not judge the fish or the tank or the water or the breeder or the seller or this site for what has happened to our own but use this as means to share each others experience and learn from it so that the next generation of discus lovers will not be scared of the prissiest king or queen of the tank.

I hope i did not bore you guys with my long post/update.thanks for peekin.

meltinonesmouth:)