PDA

View Full Version : My New Discus....

Mikeyfish7620
07-25-2006, 06:29 AM
2 of the 8 discus i got from Lou aka lssdiscus on here.

Mikeyfish7620
07-25-2006, 06:30 AM
The female

Mikeyfish7620
07-25-2006, 06:31 AM
I got 6 more if you guys would like to see....

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 08:42 AM
Hey Mike ~ You live in Stockton I see ~ I am in Sacramento ~ Did you just get these discus? They look sad Mike! The eyes look really black IMO ...They look like they have been thru a lot! Were they shipped to you? Perhaps they are still settling in:confused:

I am no expert Mike ~ others will comment Im sure but this lil guy's eye looks huge compared to the rest of him ~ That cld mean he is stunted:( He looks like he just recovered from being really ill Mike ~

Please do not take offense ~ I could be very wrong here! I am sure that others way more experienced will pop along!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

lhforbes12
07-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Mike,
Unfortunately I have to agree with Marie. I don't know if it's the picture or they really are stressed/sick but there appears to be something very wrong with them. Would it be possible to send more photos showing them a little better? It may be that they are merely stressed from the move, but it could be any number of other problems too. Water parameters would be a good thing to post so we can perhaps help you better. Are they eating at all? If they are how well? A healthy discus will literally attack it's food. They look like they could be very pretty fish.

Larry

hexed
07-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Mike,
Please post all the pictures. They do look stunted and I too agree with Marie and Larry. Have these guys been ill recently? How old are they and how big?

Tony_S
07-25-2006, 03:07 PM
He looks like he just recovered from being really ill Mike

Have these guys been ill recently?

These discus haven't BEEN sick....they ARE sick!

Hopefully they weren't sold to you like that....How long have you owned them?

Tony

hexed
07-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Mikeyfish,
at the top right corner you will see a link saying "private messages" I am PMing you.
Frank

Mikeyfish7620
07-25-2006, 05:40 PM
I got them like this but they are attacking the food not super agressive but they are eating a lot , but i just got them 2 days ago so im assuming they are just getting used to the move....one other problem that happened the last two days is that we have had brown outs for awhile and they were stressed from that....

Mikeyfish7620
07-25-2006, 05:46 PM
And i dont understand how you can say hes stunted....hes about 6" already.....he can still be stunted at that big....

OIF03VET
07-25-2006, 05:49 PM
I think once they get settled you will have some beautiful fish. I am no expert but I think their pattern looks nice.

White Worm
07-25-2006, 05:57 PM
I have recently seen discus up to 8in last weekend and they might have eyes that large. The discus I just saw were dinner plate sized discus. Overall, yours just dont look to be in good shape / health. Could we please see pics of the rest? Try and take photos straight on with good lighting. Take pics of each side of fish and head on (fish looking straight at you). This way we will be able to assess full health / quality. Take many pics.

Kenny's Discus
07-25-2006, 05:57 PM
Hi Mike - if you can post more pics of the remaining fish you got we can all get a better look at them. But I do agree with others...the first 2 you posted don't look too good...:(

Kenny

pcsb23
07-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Mike (hope thats your name) I don't think people here are being mean, I think they are genuinely concerned. Your fish are not what I would call high quality, but thats not really a problem if you like them. They have their faults as do most. I think what people are concerned about is that they do look sick, now it could quite simply be the photograph, I take lousy pics and need hundreds to get 1 half decent. It could also be that you have just got them and they are acclimating too. In your situation I would keep a very close eye on them, if the body of the fish start to go dark or the fins clamp, or white feces then get postring quickly and someone will help.

As for can it be stunted at 6" the short answer is yes. They are stunted when they fail to reach tehir full size potential, tell tale signs are the eye size and often colouring up befoer a given size. BTW did you measure from nose to tip of tail or nose to start of tail?

Looking at the eye colour I suspect they may have an internal parasite problem, don't treat just yet though, plenty of good clean water and decent food for a week or two and re-assess.

hexed
07-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Mikey,
Are they pooing white poop? If not I would do a Furan 2 treatment. The second photo the discus is facing the back of the tank, sign of illness starting. Look for ANY WHITE spots on your discus.

Mikeyfish7620
07-25-2006, 06:10 PM
I'll try to get better pictures....these are like the first 3 pics i took of them when i got them home....i have the other ones in my 55gal planted tank and their eyes arent as black and the others eyes are red which is good i think....and their poop isnt white its black....ill take better pictures when i get back home i gotta run some errans right now but ill take a bunch when i get back. Thanks for your help you guys i really appreciate it. It may seem like im mad but im not im just concerned as you guys sound like you are....and no white spots on them...

White Worm
07-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Glad you understand.....We are just trying to assess their health which will help you out in the present and the long run. All the rest of the stuff is secondary because as Paul said, every discus has its faults. Happy and healthy are the first and main concerns.

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Happy and healthy are the first and main concerns.

And not getting burned in the process;)

Hang in there Mikey:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

Mikeyfish7620
07-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Do these guys look ok?

Mikeyfish7620
07-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Solo pic

Mikeyfish7620
07-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Solo pic of another one

Mikeyfish7620
07-25-2006, 08:30 PM
The GLSS

Mikeyfish7620
07-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Another pic of the GLSS with the White Peacock

Kenny's Discus
07-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Hi Mikey - IMHO those white peacocks look ok...but it's the spotted fish that I'm concerned with. Do you happen to have more pics of those spotted strains like those in your first two pics? GLSSs? Don't take us wrong I'm sure we're all just trying to help here Mikey.

Kenny

Mikeyfish7620
07-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Ill get some pics up as soon as i can, but the GLSS is that one ok? As i got those from Lou also, bagged seperate though....so thats why im asking

hexed
07-25-2006, 09:03 PM
When you purchased the two discus in the very first two posts (sick ones) were any of the other 6 in the same tank with them at Lou's?

crazy4discus
07-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Hey Mikey! I also live in Stockton... I was also going to buy some of those discus... You got them from pleasanton right? I ended up not buying them because there not good fish... I hope you didn't spend big money on them because i know he was trying to sell them at 100 bucks a piece... Well anyway im glad to know theres another discus person in Stockton besides me thought i was alone....

Mikeyfish7620
07-26-2006, 01:12 AM
crazy: Do you happen to breed them? If you do, do you have any for cheap for a fellow stocktonian lol

hexed
07-26-2006, 01:45 AM
Mikey,
Tell me about your planted tank? Are the plants real or artifical?

Discusfishies
07-26-2006, 03:57 AM
Hi Mike,
Not that I know anything but they do look stunted, but I'm sure if you feed them up with good quality food hopefully they will catch up to the size they are suppose to be. Just a bit of TLC (tender loving care):)

crazy4discus
07-26-2006, 12:27 PM
No i don't breed... I only buy them and raise them but if i ever do breed of course i will sell some to you cheap for a fellow stocktonian...

White Worm
07-26-2006, 01:42 PM
19-23 look ok..... but please post pics of the 8 you just bought. Those are the ones we are concerned about.