PDA

View Full Version : hanging on the top water.

CoKen
07-25-2006, 08:49 AM
since like the problem in my tank and my discuses never end.

i notice all my discuses hanging together on the top on the tank (water surface) when the tank light is on. i turn on the tank light from 4pm to 10 pm everyday, during the lighting hours, i notice all discuses do not swim around the tank as they do in the morning or when the light is off.

when the light is off (after 10pm), i see a very obvious change, they almost immediately swim down and around to the tank.

i am using a pink light tube, can you tell me if i m using the light? what is the optimal light option? such as, the light specification. brightness??? kelvin???

thanks.

rgds
Ken

LizStreithorst
07-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Do you have plenty of aeration in this tank? It occured to me that the light could be raising the water temp and reducing the amount of oxygen in the water. Just a wild guess. The pink light shouldn't be a problem.

poconogal
07-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Do you have plenty of aeration in this tank? It occured to me that the light could be raising the water temp and reducing the amount of oxygen in the water. Just a wild guess. The pink light shouldn't be a problem.
Same thing occurred to me, although it seems somewhat of a longshot. Maybe they just like the color of the light? :)

Ken, also, how are you making out with the cloudy water and the 2nd canister?

Connie

fishball
07-25-2006, 10:26 AM
what is the tank shape? is it a bow front or a traditional rectangular tank? This is a longshot, but the shape may affect how the light refracts which could affect the vision of the discus.

I had my discus in a 72 gal bowfront and they would always huddle around in the one of the corners when the light was on and swim freely when the light was off.

They were transferred to a rectangular 90 gal due to a leak in the 72 and I've noticed a big difference with their behavior. they're no longer shy and they swim all around the tank. I'm using the exact same lighting as well.

-jon

poconogal
07-25-2006, 10:50 AM
what is the tank shape? is it a bow front or a traditional rectangular tank? This is a longshot, but the shape may affect how the light refracts which could affect the vision of the discus.

I had my discus in a 72 gal bowfront and they would always huddle around in the one of the corners when the light was on and swim freely when the light was off.

They were transferred to a rectangular 90 gal due to a leak in the 72 and I've noticed a big difference with their behavior. they're no longer shy and they swim all around the tank. I'm using the exact same lighting as well.

-jon
Jon, that makes sense. I just changed my background from black to a plant one. The black was very reflective and fish were skittish. They are much better now with the plant background, but it does not reflect the light as the black one did.

Connie

fishball
07-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Jon, that makes sense. I just changed my background from black to a plant one. The black was very reflective and fish were skittish. They are much better now with the plant background, but it does not reflect the light as the black one did.

Connie

you know, the funny thing is, i have no background in the 90 gal tank vs. 3 sides covered with a solid background in the 72 gal bow front. they are hardy as ever and immediately swim to the front of the tank begging for food whever i walk by :) :)

CoKen
07-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Jon

my tank is a retangular shape.

u have the point of the reflection. this really remind me that i have a bare bottom tank (no gravel), i think it might be due to the light reflection from the top of the tank being reflected at the bottom of the tank, this might create unflavorable environment for them to swim around. i will put some gravels back to the tank will see if it help.

Connie, the 2nd filter works ok (i hope), at least, the water is not getting cloudy and cloudy, will wait and see for the next few weeks.

rgds
Ken