PDA

View Full Version : Today's the day.

traco
07-25-2006, 11:07 AM
I am doing a water change today on the big tank and am going to pull the blue diamond pair.http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=51849

I'm going to put them into a 33 gallon with a cycled sponge filter, flower pot for them to spawn on, temp will be 82 and tank is bare bottom. They have spawned twice about 7 days apart which would place them hopefully to spawn again this weekend. Do I do daily water changes on this tank?

Any thoughts/tips/help?

A big thank you to Angela, Al, Larry, Paul, Carol, Larry, Kath, Marilyn and Amber.

AADiscus
07-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Go ahead and continue wc's on the breeder tank just like you would on your other tank(s). Continue feeding them the same foods as well. You might even if you don't already try feeding them fbw or earthworms to entice them even more. ;) Will you be using RO water or is your water soft enough for breeders?

traco
07-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Morning Angela. I usually feed a variety of flake foods, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, tetra bits and NLS pellets.

My GH and KH is a 4 according the LFS who tested my water. Is this soft enough? My apistos have spawned and had hatch fry; are discus different with their eggs? What works for the apistos and their eggs may not for the discus?

pcsb23
07-25-2006, 11:51 AM
I would say your water is soft enough for discus too. Keep up with the w/c's. It may take them a week or so to settle too so don't be disheartened. I would feed more fbw/white worms tohelp with the conditionig too. Frozen mysis would be better than frozen brine if they will take it.

Good luck :)

traco
07-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks Paul. I'll give the mysis a try with them. They aren't really too fond of the brine shrimp but do love the bloodworms. So conditioning is important for the pair and upcoming spawns and then hopefully hatchlings? I even notice now that they don't eat as much when they were laying the eggs the last two times. They are obssessive as I notice they stayed right with the eggs, fanning and staring intently. It is neat to see nature; I'm enjoying this for sure.:D

pcsb23
07-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Hi Barb, I believe that the better conditioned the parents the better the fry. Also the brood size will be larger. Finally conditioing like this (lots of high protein) can help trigger them into spawning!

They are obssessive as I notice they stayed right with the eggs, fanning and staring intently. It is neat to see nature; I'm enjoying this for sure.:D
Yup it sure is fun :D

lhforbes12
07-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Barb,
I agree totally with Angela and Paul. If you want to speed up the spawning process a bit try adding cooler water to their tank following a wc. This always works for me. Also I would like to reiterate what Paul already said, feed them as high of protein foods as you can, I would even go so far as to feed them CBW. (Well, for me that isn't far since mine get cbw anyway) but high protein foods will definately give you a stronger spawn.

Larry

used2bBubbles
07-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Good luck, Barb!

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Good luck woman!! Call me!

Marie ~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

marilyn1998
07-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Cool Barb!!!! Keep us posted! I have live through your experiences!!!

JIm told me one more tank and I am SLEEPING WITH THE FISHES>;)

AADiscus
07-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Anything that you would normally see in nature going on in your house is always an excitement. :)

traco
07-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Okay, it's done.:p What a day in the 90 gallon. The pair was picking away at their leaf, the two gold pigeons were shaking and shimmying around the blue turq. Then one of the golds starts laying eggs on the intake filter, the angels and rummy nose were trying to eat the eggs while she was still trying to entice the blue turq! Then the blue turq starts going and eating the eggs!!

That's when I pulled the blue pair out. I figured get them out before they got any ideas about eating eggs. So up they went to their new tank, let them settle into their new home, feed well and hope they continue spawning once they feel comfortable.

Too many hormones flying around in the big tank today!! Phew ....!!!!!!!

AmberC
07-26-2006, 06:33 AM
lol Barb! Aren't they sad.. the poor girlies trying to catch the big bad BD's attention! I always felt bad for my blue pb when she would try to get my BD to spawn with her and he would.. but then he'd eat all the eggs. But with the other female.. he would keep them because that was his girl. Poor things lol

Good luck with them! I am sure as "excited" as they are they'll be spawning in their new tank in no time :D
Amber

traco
07-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Thanks Amber. You think the blue turq may be a male? No breeding tube down for him/her. The gold pigeon would know this one is a male?

This morning checked up on them. They HATE the bare bottom floor. They are hovering/swimming kind of sideways along the bottom. I even made sure to put a white bottom underneath.

Wonder if I can put a skim coat of sand to help them feel more comfortable? Now remember I'm new at the "breeding" aspect of these guys so don't know all the intricities of keeping a pair happy and healthy.

Would that be okay to add the sand?

AmberC
07-26-2006, 10:17 AM
I am sure the sand wouldn't hurt, but they WILL get used to the BB. When I went BB mine did that for a few days too. I'd just give em some more time.. at least a week and if they dont settle, then add the sand :)

Amber

Kenny's Discus
07-26-2006, 10:22 AM
No Barb, no sand in their breeding tank. When you have frys you want to keep the bottom clear of debris/feces. Not saying it wouldn't work but adding sand definitely will not help to grow frys out. Your pair sounds like they're still not used to their new tank/environment yet. Give them a few more days and my thinking is they should be more comfortable by then.

Best of luck Barb!
Kenny

AmberC
07-26-2006, 10:47 AM
[quote=traco]Thanks Amber. You think the blue turq may be a male? No breeding tube down for him/her. The gold pigeon would know this one is a male?
[quote]

Somehow I missed that... Well.. the fish definitely know what the other are...

I could not take a guess tho. I just know that my two girls would fight over the alpha male and he would spawn with both, but then eat the eggs from the one female...

Amber

lhforbes12
07-26-2006, 11:23 AM
No Barb, no sand in their breeding tank. When you have frys you want to keep the bottom clear of debris/feces. Not saying it wouldn't work but adding sand definitely will not help to grow frys out. Your pair sounds like they're still not used to their new tank/environment yet. Give them a few more days and my thinking is they should be more comfortable by then.

Best of luck Barb!
Kenny

Perfect advice!

traco
07-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Yep, I knew that about fry and cleanliness. I just checked on them and they did eat the bloodworms that were laying there. Usually they are right at the top pigging out but didn't even move this morning in their new place.

And they sure are a pretty fish. When they were in the 90 gallon with others, plants, etc... they looked fine. But now in this tank by themselves, their blue really is spectacular. I hope I get at least one spawn to see the babies.

used2bBubbles
07-26-2006, 06:42 PM
There must be something in the air....Sue's BDs are getting ready to spawn, too!

I agree with you, Barb, the BDs are really very pretty. Just depends on the light.

Good luck! Maybe Kenny could send you a few gallons of his magic water....