PDA

View Full Version : looking for Acrylic

architect1
07-25-2006, 07:03 PM
I'm looking for an ontario acrylic tank maker in ontario from toronto to hamilton. I want to replace my huge 60x 18x 24 tank its way to heavy to move on my own and would like to lighten it and have a nice clean looking tank again. Any one know where I can find one?

I'm also wondering whats the weight differnce with acrylic verses the glass?

gingee
07-31-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm in the UK so can't help with a supplier but it's WAY lighter than a glass aquarium. One small tip: if you want the back and sides to be a certain colour (I always like black for my tanks) specify it up front as I think it's quite easy to choose whatever colour you want at no extra cost.

I had mine manufactured in clar acrylic all round and then rang to ask what paint would be best to use, "oh - you should have said you wanted black when you ordered". how the hell was I to know it would be that easy? Grrrr!!!!

Ginge

architect1
07-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Really they have colored sheets? How many of the sides did you get collored back, left, right, and bottom? I think I will do that. What size tanks did you do? I got a 100g tall. i want to make it acrylic so I can move it by my self.

Whats the other pros over glass? I'm thinking about making it my self. Go to home depot and get the 2 sheets.

Dood Lee
07-31-2006, 04:55 PM
There is a thread on acrylic/glass comparisons:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=50798

architect1
08-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanku for the post. I was wonding how do you clean them with out scratching the tank? I got a mag float that i clean my tanks with is thats ok or wi it scratch it?

Dood Lee
08-01-2006, 01:43 PM
I used a mag float, and eventually, very tiny scratches started appearing. Mind you, this was using the mag float made specifically for acrylic tanks. I don't think there is really any kind of algae scraper that doesn't leave very tiny scratches on the surface. However, I have been using the Kent Pro Scrapers (with the flat plastic blade) and those have really worked well for me. Very tiny scratches on the interior of the acrylic is fine, because you can't really see them unless you go face up against the surface. For external scratches, there are many types of commercially available acrylic buffers. Essentially they are fine grit sandpaper, you sand the surface until the scratch is gone, and then you buff it back to being clear.

architect1
08-02-2006, 08:54 AM
By the sounds of it there are no problems with acrylic yeah they get scrached but even glass does. It also sounds like acrylic is how should I say it. Not alive Oh I know it sounds like wood hard but vary easy to bend cut and things like that because of how its cellular make up.