PDA

View Full Version : Spawning in their new tank

traco
07-26-2006, 07:08 PM
So, obviously, they must be happy? I moved the blue pair to the 33 gallon yesterday. And right now, they are spawning on a clay pot!:D :D :D So, now I just have to see how they do as parents with fanning the eggs or even if the eggs are fertilized properly.

But how cool is that, heh?!!!!!! Just had to let you guys know. It is kind of exciting for me to see all this happening.

I'll let you know how things progress whether good or bad.

Woohoo.......

marilyn1998
07-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Dang!! That is great news!!!! YOU have the touch girl!! Keep us informed!

Kindredspirit
07-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Wow Barb!! umm....where is the CAMERA?? Go take a picture woman!! I wanna see.........!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_5_33.gif

AADiscus
07-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Go Barb....Go Barb....It's your b-day.. Sorry, (ever here that saying?)

Make sure you keep the light on 24 hrs. If you are able to adjust your air flow you might want to turn it up a little bit. Get a little bit more circulation in there.

Kindredspirit
07-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Angela why leave the light on 24 hours?

White Worm
07-26-2006, 07:24 PM
Or a dim night light so the parents can keep an eye on the eggs and fan them.

traco
07-26-2006, 07:53 PM
As soon as I saw them starting to lay, I closed the door. The cats were quite ticked at me, I tell ya! So, I haven't gone in there with a camera as they are still spooked with a new home with bare bottom. At least they have a full fresh tank of water. I just have a Hagen 799 air pump running the sponge filter, will that be enough circulation? I wondered about that with just having the sponge filter as the only means of circulation.

I've got a lamp going over on a table about 10 feet away hatching brine shrimp. Will that be okay for lighting to run 24 hours? Or should it be right by the tank? I've got an incandescent light fixture for a 20 gallon, I could put that on top of the tank for them?

poconogal
07-26-2006, 08:15 PM
So, obviously, they must be happy? I moved the blue pair to the 33 gallon yesterday. And right now, they are spawning on a clay pot!:D :D :D So, now I just have to see how they do as parents with fanning the eggs or even if the eggs are fertilized properly.

But how cool is that, heh?!!!!!! Just had to let you guys know. It is kind of exciting for me to see all this happening.

I'll let you know how things progress whether good or bad.

Woohoo.......
Wow, that was fast! Keep us posted! (I know you will)

Connie

AmberC
07-26-2006, 08:17 PM
That is awesome Barb!!! WTG! :D I knew it would be no time until they settled and spawned! :D

Amber

Kenny's Discus
07-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Congrats Barb! I do that too sometimes when I see pairs starting to lay, I'll just get out of my garage(RUN lol), close the door and give them all their privacy they deserved.:D Another good reason is that the male will tend to do a better job(JMO) because he can then focus on fertilizing the eggs. If you keep staring at them or taking pics at them some males will be annoyed. He might spend most of his time staying in front looking at you instead of making his runs.

Barb when they're done and if you need to add a light to their tank, make sure don't use anything too bright cause very bright light would create a vastly different looking environment to the pair. I've tried it b4 and some pairs would literally back-out from the clay pot/brick/cone and they'll be like asking "what's up with this? what are we supposed to do? Hide or keep looking after our eggs?":D :D :D

As per Carol's advice regular room light works too.

Best of luck Barb! Keep us updated!

Kenny

diskboy
07-26-2006, 08:46 PM
congrates i wish i was as lucky

lhforbes12
07-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Barb,
You definately have "the touch"! Congrats
Like Angela said, keep a light on 24 hours a day, your lamp growing brine shrimp should do just fine. Like Kenny said you don't want it too bright, just enough so they can see easily. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you Barb, good luck and good going!

Larry

AADiscus
07-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Marie, the light is so that the parents will tend to the eggs. When you turn the light off on your regular tanks you will notice they kinda go to sleep. You want the pair to continue to tend to the eggs. That is why after a large spawn I recommend a little R&R for the pair. After going a week like that they really need it. I am sure in the wild they don't need a light but from experience it helps.

Barb, I think the air flow you have will work just fine. The light will work also. Just enough for them to see and not go to sleep. :p Now you might want to think about putting a light directly on there tank once they free swim. You also might want to think about putting some white tights for covering over your sponge filter so that the fry aren't attached to it and attach to the parents easier. We always do this before they free swim. Some pairs we don't have to but normally it is just a precaution and habit. lol

Good luck and keep us posted. If you are able to get pic's, I would love to see them.

traco
07-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Sigh, they ate them.:( I guess new tank, separation from the others and bare tank was too much. I'll just be patient and they'll spawn again. Would have been a fairy tale dream if they got it right the first time. Trial and error.

An aside, in the 90 gallon, the gold pigeon was doing a pass laying eggs, would back away and the blue turq would go in and EAT the eggs!!! Pfffttt.... oh well.:o

AADiscus
07-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Oh Barb, sorry to here that. Don't give-up! They should spawn again soon.

used2bBubbles
07-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Aw, Barb, sorry to hear that. :( I guess practice makes perfect....

Kindredspirit
07-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Marie, the light is so that the parents will tend to the eggs. When you turn the light off on your regular tanks you will notice they kinda go to sleep. You want the pair to continue to tend to the eggs. That is why after a large spawn I recommend a little R&R for the pair. After going a week like that they really need it. I am sure in the wild they don't need a light but from experience it helps.

Angela Thanks! Yeah they do like crash when the light goes out ~ So you guys leave it on till........they free swim? I guess they wld need a rest aftet that! You have taught me so much Angela ~ esp for something I will never do:p Okay heres one for ya ~ why do they EAT them? They like what? ...all of a sudden get HUNGRY? Then eventually they DON'T?? Inquiring minds wanna know dayumit! lol! And oh yeah....after they do get it down Angela ...then they will NEVER eat them again? OR .......cld they ...get hungry again?? lol!

Barb ~ Got your pm ~ call me PLEASE!! I am soooooooo sorry woman:( they ate them... But still ~ how exciting yes??? You are on a roll now so hang in there Canada!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_9_5.gif

AADiscus
07-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Marie, We will leave the light for 24 hrs for the first week. This gives the fry time to start eating bbs and continuing to eat on the parent(s). That first week is fragile. IMO After that you start feeding them different foods. When the are eating that you are good to go. EXCEPT..... you have to keep up with clean tanks, very large wc's (sometimes 150%). Catch my drift?

I'm not for sure why they eat the eggs. (someone else needs to comment on that) My only opinion would be that it has something to do with them being in the wild and protecting there eggs. If you put a new young pair in a tank to breed and they are not used to you walking up to the tank, etc and they start eating eggs. Well, I would think they are doing the nature thing, they think of you as a predator. They eat the eggs or move them so that you can't see them. An older pair will not do this. IMO We have one female that used to eat eggs after every row she layed. Now she is fine but it really depends on the male that is in the tank with her. If he is a little bit more aggressive than her she is fine. If he shows any weakness then she will eventually eat the eggs, if they are exposed. ;)

lhforbes12
07-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Angela,
For someone that isn't sure, you gave a superb answer!

Marie,
As Angela said already, it's really mainly Mother Nature at work, if they feel threatened, better they eat the highly nutricious eggs than you. Also new pairs almost always take at least a few times before "getting it right".
Sometimes they take MANY times.

Barb,
Patience is the key. They will almost certainly be successful one of these times. The ones I find most annoying are the ones that have sucessully spawned a few times and then go bonkers thereafter, ALWAYS eating their spawn. Believe me, once you see the fry swarming around their parents all your hard work and patience will be more than worth it. Just hang in there, you WILL be sucessful.

Larry

used2bBubbles
07-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Marie,
if they feel threatened, better they eat the highly nutricious eggs than you.
Larry

MARIE! You were going to eat the eggs???? Shame on you! :(

Kindredspirit
07-27-2006, 10:55 PM
LoL Kathi! That was funny chica!! Larry and Angela....I love reading all your input on this topic ~

A lot ~

I have never had it explain about the eating of the eggs like that ~ Makes perfect sense tho ~

Thank You Guys!!!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_18.gif

used2bBubbles
07-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Ya know, if humans were like the wild animals, some of us wouldn't have as many headaches....or children!!!!

Ok, send your flames, I'm ready, I know that was bad!!!

traco
07-27-2006, 11:16 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_3_27.gif :D :D

AmberC
07-28-2006, 07:30 AM
Sigh, they ate them.:( I guess new tank, separation from the others and bare tank was too much. I'll just be patient and they'll spawn again. Would have been a fairy tale dream if they got it right the first time. Trial and error.

An aside, in the 90 gallon, the gold pigeon was doing a pass laying eggs, would back away and the blue turq would go in and EAT the eggs!!! Pfffttt.... oh well.:o

Well this IS only the third spawn right Barb? Remember back when mine were spawning all the time? It took them a couple of months before any got to free swimming.. now this WAS in a community tank.. but the eggs never got to hatching point for a while! Until then, just enjoy watching em do there thing and take care of the eggs while they have em! :) Which is basically what you said your doing anyways lol
Amber

Kindredspirit
07-28-2006, 08:24 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_3_27.gif :D :D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_68.gif
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_4.gif

traco
07-28-2006, 10:20 AM
I know, isn't he cute? And a perfect one for Miss Kathi.

traco
07-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Yes, patience is the key. The only thing is, I'm not a patient person. :p

:bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2:

Kindredspirit
07-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Def not one of MY virtues either http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_6.gif

used2bBubbles
07-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Def not one of MY virtues either http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_6.gif
I hear ya, girs! I've never been accused of being patient!!!!

Marie, I'm in chicago and using my son's computer. I CAN SEE YOUR SMILIES!!!! So cute!!!!

Kathi