PDA

View Full Version : Problems with aggression

Catfish Junkie
07-27-2006, 07:58 PM
I now have 5 discus, 2 of which are about 3.5 in, the others are between 2 and 2.5 in. They all seem to HATE each other! I only bought 2 of them at the same time, the rest where bought about 2 weeks apart. The 2 largest where bought first and are the most aggressive. The first one I got is the most aggressive and then it goes on from there, newest tankmate gets it the worst. The good news is that the three smallest are going into a grow-out tank for a few months. There are also many other fish in the 75gal heavily planted none of which are EVER bothered by any of the Discus. They just pick on each other. No visible damage to any of the fish. . . yet. Any suggestions?

Jeckel
07-27-2006, 08:44 PM
Catfish Junkie, what you are seeing is normal. It's not a matter of some fish being more aggressive than the others, it's just that the larger fish ar stronger and were established in the tank first, so they see the others as intruders. With discus, larger groups are better because the aggression is spread out more. If you split up your fish, you will have two in one tank and three in the other, and in each tank there will be a fish at the bottom of the pecking order who may be badgered to death. I'd suggest finding a way to keep the fish in a larger group rather than splitting them up into small ones. About the only discus that don't fight with each other are mated ones (sometimes).

Jerry

zzbudzz
07-28-2006, 02:58 PM
i'm having the same problem ...but i guess this isn't a "problem" just the nature of the fish?

Jeckel
07-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Yes, they are cichlids after all. I think the aggression is usually worst during the "adolescent" stage. As they approach adulthood they often seem to sort things out. It can be worrisome to watch expensive fish snapping at each others' faces, but if the tank is big enough and there are enough fish in the group, they usually come through it all right.

Kindredspirit
07-28-2006, 05:23 PM
That is very true.....You are very wise;)

poconogal
07-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Yes, they are cichlids after all. I think the aggression is usually worst during the "adolescent" stage. As they approach adulthood they often seem to sort things out. It can be worrisome to watch expensive fish snapping at each others' faces, but if the tank is big enough and there are enough fish in the group, they usually come through it all right.
I had two adults many years ago, along with 3 little guys. The two adults, about 2 days after being in my tank, locked jaws and had one h*ll of a wrestling match, all around the tank. It lasted for a few minutes. After it was over, they were as peaceful as can be, no pushing, no shoving, no aggression. The 3 little guys were pretty peaceful, too, when they were still little guys!

Now I have five 4-5 inchers and sometimes I can't even watch them, some get so aggressive with the others. But we can't ever forget... they are Cichlids!

Connie

Marinemom
07-31-2006, 07:00 PM
All I can say is that cichlids will be cichlids. I have five South American cichlids that are quite large in my 125 gallon tank and sometimes they are so aggressive with each other I can't even watch it go on. I just have to walk away. Sometimes I see this with discus too.

Marinemom