PDA

View Full Version : Second time is a success so far ...

diamond_discus
07-29-2006, 09:39 PM
I am new to discus breeding ... and I need advice from you guys ...

Last week, two of the 5" discus began to pair up and lay eggs in a community tank. After they layed eggs, I removed the rest of the fishes but the parents ended up eating all the eggs.

Two days ago, they lay eggs again and this time they didn't eat the eggs. Instead, they guarded them very tight. Last night, 2/3 of the eggs turn white. This afternoon, the remaining 1/3 turn down (with eyes, I guess). A few of the eggs starting have tail and wriggling ...

Here're some of my questions :

1. Should I continue to do water change daily ?
2. How often should I feed the parent now ? I only feed them frozen blood worm now and I found it's the cleanest way.
3. If I am lucky, I will have some baby fry. How soon should I feed them ? with what ? Baby brine shrimp ? The problem is that I need to work and I can't be at home to feed them every 3 or 4 hours with baby brine shrimp. What should I do ? I have automatic feeders at home but what kind of food can I use for the baby fry once they become free swimmers ?
4. The parents and the eggs are currently isolated in a 40 gallon Seaclear Eclipse aquarium. I am using only a sponge filter and another air stone. I remove carbon from the Eclipse 3 filter and only added a "Water Softerner Pillow" to help improve the water softnesss, which seems to be working. My wife won't let me setup another 10 gallon tanks for the baby fry. My question is that would these baby fry survive in a big 40 gallon tank ? Can I reduce the amount of water in the tank ? Any suggestion ?

I would appreciate any help/advise from you guys, so that I can prepare ahead of time.

P.S. I use a magnifying glass to monitor the process of the hatching eggs. It's an amazing scene to see the egg hatching and the way the parents are guarding the eggs.

AADiscus
07-30-2006, 09:05 AM
Continue you daily wc's just like normal. Continue feeding the parents 1 or 2 times a day but nothing messy. Feed them worms, flakes, etc. No bh IMO. You will notice the parents won't have a very good appetite for a few days while they are tending to the fry. This is normal so don't freak out when you notice your fish aren't eating. ;) I would start feeding them bbs at day 3 of free swimming. You could try an automatic feeder. I have never used one though. You don't need the softener pillow. Yank it out. I think the 40 gal will be ok for now. Depending on the size of spawn you have you might need to sweet talk your wife into another tank. lol Let the addition to discus begin!!!!!! :D

diamond_discus
07-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Thanks. What does "No bh IMO" mean ?

If I were to use an automatic feeder, then it means that I can't use BBS. right ? What kind of dry food should I use after 3 days of free swimming ?

I will take out the softener pillow. Actually, I stopped the Eclipse 3 filter last night because there seems to be too much current that was affecting the wrigglers.

I actually have an empty 10 gallon tank sitting in the garage ... But I already have a 55 and two 40 gallons in the house .. She likes the fry but won't let me setup the extra 10 ... go figure .... I think I will lower the water level in my 40 gallons. I think I have about 30 wrigglers. Most of the original egg didn't get fertilized and turn white. Since I added some M. Blue, I didn't have fungus.