PDA

View Full Version : I lost one of my LSS

wolfbane
07-30-2006, 07:28 PM
:( How fast can bloat kill a fish? as of last night 's water change, all was well with the fish in the 29 QT tank, this morning before church, one fish acting sluggish, didn't eat as far as I could tell. Got home around 12:30, noticed he looked bloated, plump tummy, hollow behind that, and he now turned dark in the body. His eyes remained bright, red iris. Did a water change, added Epsom salts per instructions in beginners section. By now, he was listing to one side, difficulty staying upright. Within the next hour, he lost control of swimming, began to dart about, then, around 2:30 he was dead. I am so very sad. I really wanted this fish, waited a while to get my spotted fish. I couldn't get a hold of Dan today, but I think nothing would have helped this one, he went fast.
Did nothing different, always the same feeding routine, same foods.
Dang, I need chocolate now.

lhforbes12
07-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Debbie,
That's a bummer, and I'm sorry it happened to you. To my knowledge bloat doesn't kill that fast, and I would be very inclined to look to some other cause. (That is, I don't think the bloat was caused by a simple blockage only). Perhaps worms, or IMO more likely a bacterial infection, was the true cause. Are there other fish in the QT?

Larry

Kindredspirit
07-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Hey Deb! I am so sorry babe! Was he in qt alone? How are the others? Talk to Dan ~

I am not sure of the history of this fish ...how long have you had it? I agree with Larry tho in that something was causing the blockage:( I only experienced bloat once but I think that if Epsom did help right away....it wasnt going to and then look at something else...I am soooooooooooo sorry Deb!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

wolfbane
07-30-2006, 08:05 PM
There are 2 other LSS in that tank, both are perky and hungry. Dan had wormed and QTed them at his place before. This was my QT before I add them to the big tank. Wanted to get them a little bigger.
I kinda thought this had to be more than a regular bloat, the other 2 pooped, but not the sick one. Man, it happened so fast.
I will try Dan again in a lil bit.
I hope the other 2 are not in danger, as I said, they look fine, and I'm trying not to panic and throw meds in the tank. I just don't know what could have happened.
I have only had these fish just over 10 days.

lhforbes12
07-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Debbie,
It is wise not to panic and wiser still to hold off on the meds, at least for now. You already know that transporting fish is very traumatic on them, and this is probably what happened in your case. It could have been something very small the was greatly excerbated by being moved. Get hold of Dan before you do anything else. Since the other fish are fine, there really is no need to do anything just yet, other than to keep an eye on them.

wolfbane
07-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks Larry, and thanks Marie. I keep looking in on them, and they keep coming to greet me, so they seem fine. Nothing I can do but watch them for now I guess.

Kenny's Discus
07-30-2006, 08:41 PM
I'm very sry to hear this Debbie:( but it happens. I agree with Larry that if the others are doing fine, careful observation is really what you need to do at this point. Best wishes Deb.

Kenny

wolfbane
07-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks Kenny. I haven't lost a discus in a year, so I guess this really shocked me. Just fed the 2 and they are eating normally.

Tony_S
07-30-2006, 10:13 PM
noticed he looked bloated, plump tummy, hollow behind that

By hollow...do you mean a 'pinched' look? Was the discus having a difficult time staying neutrally buoyant(staying suspended)? Or did it sink like a stone when it stopped swimming?

Tony

wolfbane
07-30-2006, 10:50 PM
When he stopped swimming, he would float to and fro in the tank, surface, then struggle to right himself. yes, pinched a bit behind the roundnessof his belly.

Kindredspirit
07-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Dang, I need chocolate now.

There ya go Deb! Ending MY day this way ~ and ~ it is only 2grams of fat to boot!

Want one? Are you okay? I am so sorry....

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_80.gif

Alight
07-30-2006, 11:11 PM
I have never seen it in my own fish, but I've heard that very serious bloat can kill quickly. From my own experience, I would guess the fish would have to really look blown up, because some of my fish with bloat looked like they were going to explode, but they got through it somehow.

I'd have to guess either this particular fish has a bit of strange internal anatomy that bloat could seize on and kill the fish, or it was something else causing the blockage, as Larry guessed, too.

Either way, it may be a one off thing, and only will affect this one fish.

As all have said, talk to Dan to see if any of the other fish he has had has experience something similar.

Alight
07-30-2006, 11:12 PM
I have never seen it in my own fish, but I've heard that very serious bloat can kill quickly. From my own experience, I would guess the fish would have to really look blown up, because some of my fish with bloat looked like they were going to explode, but they got through it somehow.

I'd have to guess either this particular fish has a bit of strange internal anatomy that bloat could seize on and kill the fish, or it was something else causing the blockage, as Larry guessed, too.

Either way, it may be a one off thing, and only will affect this one fish.

As all have said, talk to Dan to see if any of the other fish he has had has experience something similar.

MMMM Chocolate!!!

AmberC
07-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Aww Debbie that sucks! I am so sorry! Its so hard loosing fish :( I hope someone can help you figure it out!!

Amber