PDA

View Full Version : Fungus control

diamond_discus
07-31-2006, 10:25 PM
This is the fifth day since my discus pair lay eggs. Wrigglers are on the breeding cone. Since day 1, I added some Methelene Blue to control fungus and I have been doing daily water change to get rid of the bottom debris. This morning, I found some fungus starting to develop around those unfertilized white eggs. I added a few more drop of M. Blue.

I am concern that those fungus would eventually kill all the wrigglers.

Any suggestion how to remove those fungus. ?

Graham
08-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Use a peice of airline tubing and start a siphon ......then siphon any dead eggs away. A gravy baster will work also

Graham

AADiscus
08-01-2006, 12:02 PM
The fungus will not hurt the wigglers. The wigglers will only be on the cone for approx 2 days. They will start freeswimming soon and you won't have to worry about the fungus. I would say leave it alone just so you don't disturb the parents. JMO

CliffsDiscus
08-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Diamond Discus,
My suggestion would be the same as Angela's leave it alone, too much movement such as using the baster would tear the adhesive glands, the
results would be deform mouths and faces.

Cliff

Kindredspirit
08-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Really Cliff? Wow ~ very interesting to say the least ~ I love to learn this stuff:)

Thanks!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

Alight
08-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Didn't know about causing deformities, but I've never worried about the fungus. It's never killed any wrigglers in my experience. Even when they get totally wrapped in it, they eventually work their way out. For that reason, I never bother with anti fungals with eggs. I tried it both ways (with and without fungicide) years agos, and recently, (two years ago) and never saw any difference.

Good luck!

Al

AmberC
08-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Really Cliff? Wow ~ very interesting to say the least ~ I love to learn this stuff:)

Thanks!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

You do?! Are you secretly planning on getting another tank and breeding Ms. P and your BSS?!!! ;)

Just kidding Marie..

Diamond Discus.. I agree to not worry about the fungused eggs. The parents will clean that off and would do a much better job than we could do! Good luck with your spawn!!!

Amber