PDA

View Full Version : UV lights?

Telperion
08-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Here is the lighting system I have for my 37 gallon tank. The actinic lights are pretty much useless and I was going to replace them with something else when I started reading about UV lights and cleaning capability. Is it possible or necessary or even recommended that I add UV lighting if possible? Are there bulbs that would fit?

Just need some ideas -- this is my first discus tank -- and yes I know you recommend growing discus in BB tanks but mine is already planted and I'm leaving it that way. If it takes more frequest water changes so be it. The tank will have an Eheim 2213 with a lot of biological filtration media as well as a Whisper hang on filter (or I may use a Tetratec with built-in heater - any opinion there would be good as well).

Does anyone have an opinion on UV lighting in place of actinic bulbs?

pcsb23
08-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Putting a UV bulb in a tank luminaire would have no beneficial results. The water has to be in very close contact to the light, like 6mm , for it to be effective. UV sterilizers normally fit into the return pipe from a cannister filter and do not illuminate the tank.

I would recommend replacing the actinics with bulbs rated at daylight, around 5600 on the kelvin measurement.

hth,

Moon
08-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Paul is right. UV lamps are used as a germicidal treatment and water has to pass in close proximity to the lamp. If it is placed over the tank, it might harm the fish. UV has a detrimental effect on the eyes and skin. Use a regular high CRI fluorescent lamp.
Joe

Telperion
08-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Putting a UV bulb in a tank luminaire would have no beneficial results. The water has to be in very close contact to the light, like 6mm , for it to be effective. UV sterilizers normally fit into the return pipe from a cannister filter and do not illuminate the tank.

I would recommend replacing the actinics with bulbs rated at daylight, around 5600 on the kelvin measurement.

hth,

Ah, gotcha. That makes more sense :D . I figure since I have 2x65 daylight watts 6700k for daylight lights, that more daylight is unnecessary and could be detrimental since my CO2 is DIY and cannot be adjusted "up." Maybe the actinic lights will look neat depending on the colors of the discus.

Thanks for the help! :bandana:

lhforbes12
08-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Actinics are a very blue light. If you have blue discus it may make them look bluer.

Telperion
08-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Actinics are a very blue light. If you have blue discus it may make them look bluer.

cool! :) I planned on buying some 'blue-ish" discus. Just getting the tank ready first.