PDA

View Full Version : Can Fish Hear

rodneyfisher
08-05-2006, 02:33 PM
I have a radio playing in my fish room and my wife asked me if they can hear or if they can see colors, but I did not know the answer

Graham
08-05-2006, 02:40 PM
The answer to both is yes.....They obivously don't have ears like us but they hear by sensing vibrations in the water via a bunch of bones called the Webrian Ossicles. These bones are then attached to an organ similar to our inner ear

The Lateral Line is alos used to hear by picking up low frequency sound waves and shock waves in the water...this is how they know we're coming with net before we even get there

They don't have all those natural pretty colours for male/female for nothing

G

April
08-05-2006, 03:18 PM
they definitely hear. i have mine in my dog grooming salon..and if a dog barks very loud..they scatter. they arent impressed..
they also recognize the difference between my spotted dog..and other dogs who go by..they are used to seeing mine..when a strange one walks by..they complain..

AmberC
08-05-2006, 04:51 PM
The Lateral Line is alos used to hear by picking up low frequency sound waves and shock waves in the water...this is how they know we're coming with net before we even get there

G

Just like a shark

Amber

ShinShin
08-05-2006, 11:27 PM
I just stood in front of my fish tanks and yelled at all my discus. None of them paid attention to me until I picked up a yellow container of pellet food.

Draw your conclusions from that small experiment. I have done this every time someone asks this question. It always is the same.

Mat

Ryan
08-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Larry, now I have a mental image of you standing there screaming at your tanks. Make sure no one else is around when that happens -- they might think you've lost it.

Mine don't seem to mind sounds, but it's vibrations that irritate them. If I pump the tank or something rumbles the floor (like some very bad lightning we had today), the fish go crazy. I'd imagine they are very sensitive to any vibrations in the water.

Ryan

Squiggy
08-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Speaking of mental images...I keep imagining April's fish looking out of the tank and thinking "no matter how much hair she takes off of them, they're never gonna be fish...Look...she just threw another one back..."

:crazy:

Timbo
08-06-2006, 07:25 AM
my experience mirrors Larry's. regular sounds/noise no matter how loud, they pay no attention to; but if I turn up the bass on the stereo, they react. i believe its the lower frequencies that they can hear/feel

diablocanine
08-06-2006, 07:31 AM
They hear but they don't listen, sound familar....DC

AmberC
08-06-2006, 07:37 AM
Larry, now I have a mental image of you standing there screaming at your tanks. Make sure no one else is around when that happens -- they might think you've lost it.

Mine don't seem to mind sounds, but it's vibrations that irritate them. If I pump the tank or something rumbles the floor (like some very bad lightning we had today), the fish go crazy. I'd imagine they are very sensitive to any vibrations in the water.

Ryan

Mine always react when I run the vacuum next to the tank. But then.. everyone in my house reacts! The birds chirp, the dog runs~tail tucked, Crista runs and jumps up on the couch (shes always been scared of the vacuum lol) the guinea pig squeals and Megan goes and gets her vacuum and helps :)

Amber

Graham
08-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Mat maybe they are just ignoring you they got use to you standing there yelling at them ;)

Sound is vibration and the lower the frequency the better it travels through the water. The real low frequencies can be picked up by their lateral line.

http://www.life.umd.edu/biology/popperlab/background/index.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/02/030210075908.htm

Tony_S
08-06-2006, 08:08 AM

LMAO!!:D

Beth did the same thing yesterday while she was reading this thread...Screamed at the top of her lungs...The discus paid no attention to her.....The dog on the other hand, went from a deep sleep to AIRBORN in 1/10th of a second!!:shocked:

Tony:D

Kindredspirit
08-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Who is Larry? I do not see a Larry post in this thread ~ unless I am really tired:p

Sometimes when I yell the fish jump but I think that is due to vibrations of something ~ but.....I swear there have been times I saw them scatter when Titan our Dane wld bark near them....

And they do recognize each dog we have ~ Matt your post was funny:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

lhforbes12
08-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Who is Larry? I do not see a Larry post in this thread ~ unless I am really tired:p

Sometimes when I yell the fish jump but I think that is due to vibrations of something ~ but.....I swear there have been times I saw them scatter when Titan our Dane wld bark near them....

And they do recognize each dog we have ~ Matt your post was funny:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

Larry is Mat

Larry

Kindredspirit
08-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Larry is Mat

Larry

touche':o I knew that too:p