PDA

View Full Version : another low tech lighting question

wolfbane
08-07-2006, 10:39 PM
I have a 29 that I wish to have in 3 types of Java fern, any suggestions for lighting? This tank will house a school of praecox rainbows. No CO2 involved.
Right now all I have is the regular single flourescent that comes in the hood.. 18Watts? I've seen 65 PC light strips at a good price lately, is that too much light?

lhforbes12
08-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Debbie,
The new light will be fine. Be advised that all of the java ferns like to be in a current IME. When they aren't they tend to get black spots and grow babies on their fronds. Adding a little Excel will help greatly, no ferts.

Larry

wolfbane
08-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks Larry, I had them before with a powerhead in the tank, that confirms what I thought.

traco
08-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Don't praecox rainbows require some salt in their tank and that would affect the java ferns?

Dissident
08-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Lighting is fine.

Like larry said EXCEL would be nice, but do not OD it. Java ferns do nbot respond well to too much EXCEL. They also do well with higher NO3.
You might want to consider bolbitis along with the java ferns, they do will in similiar conditions.

wolfbane
08-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Cool Diss, will consider that. Nothing I have read suggests brackish water for these rainbows, I had a pair before in a community tank, they did well. Let me know where you found that info, if you would!
Oh wait, Bolbitis doesn't like hard water, info says it gets black spots in hard water. Hmmm...my water is pretty hard.

Dissident
08-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Hmmm...my water is pretty hard.

Yeah skip it then. I can only keep it in Low-Tech tank where the water is a lot softer. It's too bad :( They look great when healthy and really look like hell with those spots on them. It will also kill it's growth.

(so we can scratch that idea ;))

lhforbes12
08-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Bolbitus doesn't like hard water? Hmmmm learn something new every day.

Alight
08-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Diss, just out of curiosity, does the above post mean that the water in your high tech discus tank is harder than in your low tech tank? If so, why, and how hard is it?

I had trouble with a bolbitus in my low, now high tech Discus tank. It simply did not grow. Just sat there. It got finished off by Exel OD when I had the last algae outbreak. The water in this tank is sort of medium, about 4-5 GH.

Al Light