PDA

View Full Version : I went to buy blackworms and look what I got!

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 01:30 AM
Oh, yea, just sold one of my angelfish pairs at a friend's fish store. He didn't have any cbw so I went to another fish store and made the mistake of walking back into the fish room.

Heavens to Betsy! I fell in love with this little sweetie!!!

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 01:32 AM
These pictures were taken without a flash but with that bluish bulb on the tank...

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 01:34 AM
...and she is BIG! (Well, not a little juvie like I've bought in the past). She's about 4.5"

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 01:35 AM
so she is less skittish than the ss juvies I got. Got her yesterday and this morning she was looking for food.

White Worm
08-10-2006, 01:44 AM
very very nice! Cant pass that up at a lfs!

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 02:13 AM
Thanks, Mike! And when I was talking to the owner, he said he had had the discus for well over 6 weeks and that they had grown so much he should probably raise the price. I asked if he'd rather cut me a deal....to which he quickly replied "NO!" So I grabbed her up. She was by far the biggest in the tank.

AmberC
08-10-2006, 07:27 AM
What a great find! Shes gorgeous! Congratulations :D

Amber

steve.ryall
08-10-2006, 07:28 AM
love the colour, super fish

Steve

lhforbes12
08-10-2006, 07:31 AM
The bad; eyes are large, I doubt she will get much bigger

The good; Nice shape and very nice color. I think I wouldn't have been able to resist her either.

MeauxJeaux
08-10-2006, 09:18 AM
Nice! My wife always gripes about me coming home with more than I had on the list.
:p

Kindredspirit
08-10-2006, 09:44 AM
She is beautiful Kathi ~ You shld call her Besty ~

poconogal
08-10-2006, 09:52 AM
:thumbsup: Kathi, funny looking blackworm! LOL
I love her, she's really, really beautiful!

Connie

marilyn1998
08-10-2006, 10:41 AM
She is GORGEOUS!!! I need another one or two blues in my tank!!!!! What a find!!!

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Thanks, everybody! Yup, I couldn't believe how pretty she was until I got her home. She was in a dark room with poor lighting, but her size and markings were nice. But at home in a tank with silk plants and good lighting, I couldn't believe the pictures I was getting.

Larry, why do you think she won't get much bigger? Is that common for cobalts?

lhforbes12
08-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks, everybody! Yup, I couldn't believe how pretty she was until I got her home. She was in a dark room with poor lighting, but her size and markings were nice. But at home in a tank with silk plants and good lighting, I couldn't believe the pictures I was getting.

Larry, why do you think she won't get much bigger? Is that common for cobalts?

Nope, Cobalts get as large as most strains. Her eyes are a little on the large size though. Ingrid yelled at me already for saying that btw :-/
Just tellin' it as I see it though. Large eyes = stunted fish. Before you freak out though, let me add this, I like her very much and if I had seen her at the store I would have purchased her too. Very pretty discus.

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Her eyes are a little on the large size though. Ingrid yelled at me already for saying that btw :-/
Large eyes = stunted fish. .

Please tell Ingrid thanks for yelling at you!!! :) We women need to stick together. Well, I do hope you're wrong about her being stunted, not just so I could taunt you about it, but because I want her to be big. I never knew that about the eyes & stunting. What causes that?

Well, I think the demons have returned to my computer...last night while I was in Image Zone, trying to transfer my pics, it went whacky and I had to manually shut down. Tried the task master to end the program and kept popping up "not responding, end now?" and at one point I looked down and it said something like 36 things were running. EEEEEEK. My monitor is going on standby when I didn't set it to. . . and who knows what else. But I'm calmer now...sorta.

By the way, I didn't answer your question about how thick Bill's two fish were. WHOA! Like a Hardee's 3/4 lb. burger!
Man, those suckers were super sized!!!

t_j
08-10-2006, 01:23 PM
She is a looker you are vary lucky I wouldn't be able to pass her up either vary nice markings!!!!!!!:) What store did you get her from?

t_j
08-10-2006, 01:26 PM
My computer did the same thing but every time I tried to close a window three or four more poped up so I had to do the same thing you did but I can't remember what i did to fix once I do I'll let you know.;)

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 01:34 PM
My computer did the same thing but every time I tried to close a window three or four more poped up so I had to do the same thing you did but I can't remember what i did to fix once I do I'll let you know.;)
THANKS, TJ, I'd appreciate that!!!

I just bought her at a large fish store in Rock Island, Illinois. Unfortunately, a long drive for you if you're in Chicago.

Thanks for your comments!

Kathi

candyl70
08-10-2006, 03:29 PM
She is very beautiful Kathi! I love her colors. Sometimes red eyes look larger than normal colored eyes. But ... even if she is stunted... she is a great find.

Fish get stunted from not enough food, sickness, or not enough water changes I believe. Larry will tell ya if i'm wrong tho :p ;)

lhforbes12
08-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Please tell Ingrid thanks for yelling at you!!! :) We women need to stick together. Well, I do hope you're wrong about her being stunted, not just so I could taunt you about it, but because I want her to be big. I never knew that about the eyes & stunting. What causes that?

It happens when they are young and don't get enough food, the eyes continue to grow but the rest of them doesn't.

As to your computer... I will find a stick of dynomite for it. Actually it sounds like you haver too much crap and your Registry needs to be cleaned. This is NOT something you should do. I'll talk to Ingrid and maybe we can stop there in a few weeks. Another option is to RESTORE

lhforbes12
08-10-2006, 04:51 PM
THANKS, TJ, I'd appreciate that!!!

I just bought her at a large fish store in Rock Island, Illinois. Unfortunately, a long drive for you if you're in Chicago.

Thanks for your comments!

Kathi

ROCK ISLAND?????? Ingrid is right by there today... well she was, now she's in Iowa. Why anyone would want to go to Iowa is beyond me.
Before you Iowans start up, my dad was born in Des Moines and I actually think Iowa is a fine state, especially if you like corn.

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 06:04 PM
As to your computer... I will find a stick of dynomite for it. Actually it sounds like you haver too much crap and your Registry needs to be cleaned. This is NOT something you should do. I'll talk to Ingrid and maybe we can stop there in a few weeks. Another option is to RESTORE

YES! DYNAMITE IS IT!!!! YES!!! Actually, I still have some of that liquid stuff those Alkooka guys wanted me to take somplace but I said I was too busy....maybe that'll blow up?????? :p

Ingrid stop here in a few weeks? I think she would need to bring a flame thrower to fix this piece of cr..machinery.

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 06:06 PM
ROCK ISLAND?????? Ingrid is right by there today... well she was, now she's in Iowa.

NO WAY! Well, why didn't ya say so??? I didn't know she travelled. I thought she had to stay home to work on her computer and yell at you for making criticisms.

Well, this needs much more discussion!

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 06:08 PM
She is very beautiful Kathi! I love her colors. Sometimes red eyes look larger than normal colored eyes. But ... even if she is stunted... she is a great find.

Thanks, Candy. That's so nice of you to say. I, too, love her colors. I'm so glad I got her now. I love my BDs, but they are more of a powder blue. She is so different.

That brings up a question: is the little bit of red coloring on her body a normal thing for cobalts? Do you know Candy? I know nothing about cobalts. And if this red stuff is not supposed to be on a cobalt, oh, what the heck, I still like her. I'm just curious.....

Kenny's Discus
08-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Hi Kathi - love that color of your Cobalt. Very eye-catching. No disrespect to Larry(how dare I?:D ) but Kathi keep in mind that very often discus you see in pictures, as opposed to seeing in person, will tend to have a little bigger eyes. Just the camera effect or the way the fish's positioning. Either way it's a keeper IMO.

Exciting huh? Enjoy it friend!

Kenny

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi Kathi - love that color of your Cobalt. Very eye-catching. but Kathi keep in mind that very often discus you see in pictures, as opposed to seeing in person, will tend to have a little bigger eyes. Just the camera effect or the way the fish's positioning. Either way it's a keeper IMO.
Kenny

Oh, Kenny, I was hoping you'd comment. Mr. Producer/Keeper-of-gorgeous-fish, that means a lot to me. Your fish are so perfect....thank you!!!!

No disrespect to Larry(how dare I?:D )

Oh, go ahead and disrespect Larry. He's used to it!!!!! :D

Thanks, Kenny, you made my day!

Kathi

Kenny's Discus
08-10-2006, 06:44 PM
Oh no nothing like that Kathi. Producer? :D You're kidding me friend! Btw You know what Kathi since Larry's not around let sneak up on him lol...you do lots of WCs and feed him/her a good diet and let's grow him/her into a monster! Now that's "disrespect" to Larry LOL!

Take care friend, wishing your sons a safe ride.
Kenny

lhforbes12
08-10-2006, 07:29 PM
NO WAY! Well, why didn't ya say so??? I didn't know she travelled. I thought she had to stay home to work on her computer and yell at you for making criticisms.

Well, this needs much more discussion!

Uh huh... yuk it up there "computer girl" we'll see whom is laughing the next time you have problems

q~ Hmmmmmmmmmmm Hmmmmmmmm Hmmmm q~

lhforbes12
08-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Hi Kathi - love that color of your Cobalt. Very eye-catching. No disrespect to Larry(how dare I?:D ) but Kathi keep in mind that very often discus you see in pictures, as opposed to seeing in person, will tend to have a little bigger eyes. Just the camera effect or the way the fish's positioning. Either way it's a keeper IMO.

Exciting huh? Enjoy it friend!

Kenny

<gasp>

lhforbes12
08-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Oh no nothing like that Kathi. Producer? :D You're kidding me friend! Btw You know what Kathi since Larry's not around let sneak up on him lol...you do lots of WCs and feed him/her a good diet and let's grow him/her into a monster! Now that's "disrespect" to Larry LOL!

Kenny

That kind of disrespect I would enjoy, I don't actually see it happening, but I "would" enjoy being wrong in this case.

Timbo
08-10-2006, 07:35 PM
hi Kathi!

nice cobalt, and not that badly stunted imo. how do you know it is female? was it from a proven pair?

Kenny's Discus
08-10-2006, 07:43 PM
That kind of disrespect I would enjoy, I don't actually see it happening, but I "would" enjoy being wrong in this case.

It's ok buddy...we just agree to disagree this time lol.

Kenny

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 07:44 PM
hi Kathi!

nice cobalt, and not that badly stunted imo. how do you know it is female? was it from a proven pair?

Hi, Tim. Oh, no, I have no idea what it is. I just like calling it a "she" because a "he" shouldn't be called pretty.

By the way, everybody, Marie and I have decided to call her . . . BETSY.

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 07:49 PM

Kenny

Kenny, you ARE undisputedly the closest thing to Neptune that I know. Pristine water, gorgeous pairs, beautiful fry.

Thanks for the encouragement...I did that with my 2 BDs that have really bad eyesight and they have grown up quite nicely.

And thanks, too, for your wishes for my sons. I just hate it when violence rears its ugly head.

Kathi

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Uh huh... yuk it up there "computer girl" we'll see whom is laughing the next time you have problems

q~ Hmmmmmmmmmmm Hmmmmmmmm Hmmmm q~

WHADDA YA MEAN "NEXT TIME"???? I'm still having them!

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 07:52 PM
<gasp>

Cut ya to the bone, eh? muah ha ha ha!

Hey, I can't believe you didn't get censored for that word....

Oh, that's right, you're not Marie!!! (Marie, I'm not slamming you, ok? I'm meaning you are an easy target.)

April
08-10-2006, 08:00 PM
well..i say hes a he..and hes just changing over from blue with red striations to solid cobalt. and yes..cobalts start out with red striations. like the reflections. then cover over. looks like hes going to grow trailers on the top fin..and hes getting extremely shiny head..i say a male and about 10 months or so. he will grow a bit more maybe..specially with good food and lots of wcs. even if he doesnt..hes nice.

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 08:05 PM
well..i say hes a he..and hes just changing over from blue with red striations to solid cobalt. and yes..cobalts start out with red striations. like the reflections. then cover over. looks like hes going to grow trailers on the top fin..and hes getting extremely shiny head..i say a male and about 10 months or so. he will grow a bit more maybe..specially with good food and lots of wcs. even if he doesnt..hes nice.

COOL!!!! THANKS, April! Wow! I'm impressed that you can tell me he's a he and how old he is. I'm going to have to post pics of my BDs. I think they're both shes only because they get along together and I think they are old enough to be able to spawn.....

Thanks, too, for the info on the red striations. I was afraid to call them striations for fear that wasn't the correct word.

Now can you explain to me what you mean by you think he's going to grow trailers on the top fin? Is that a good thing? (duh)

billeagan
08-10-2006, 08:19 PM
gorgeous find!

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks! You know that's the way it always happens--you just buy some discus, then go into a store and WHOA! how can you pass that up?

traco
08-10-2006, 08:50 PM
So now he should be called ..... ?????? Berty?:p He is definately a looker, good find, Kath!! And trailers would make him stunning. I think the blue diamond in the "SimplyDiscus Library" has trailers (correct me if I'm wrong guys?).

You really are picking up some nice fish; went for more instead of less, hey?:D

diskboy
08-10-2006, 08:55 PM
b....e....a...utiful fish i love "him" lol i wish i could have a fish that nice.

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 09:09 PM
So now he should be called ..... ?????? Berty?:p He is definately a looker, good find, Kath!! And trailers would make him stunning. I think the blue diamond in the "SimplyDiscus Library" has trailers (correct me if I'm wrong guys?).

You really are picking up some nice fish; went for more instead of less, hey?:D

Thanks, Barb! And you know, he didn't look all that pretty in a dimly lit plain tank, but boy, get him home in a nice tank and.....oooooh.

Yea, the fact that she is now a HE does pose a problem with naming him Betsy. Hmmmm. Well, Johnny Cash sang about a boy named Sue......

I'll check out the blue diamond in the library for trailers.

Yea, I've had 2 occasions now when I had no plans to buy fish and came home with them. Thank goodness my husband wasn't with!!!!

used2bBubbles
08-10-2006, 09:10 PM
b....e....a...utiful fish i love "him" lol i wish i could have a fish that nice.

THANKS, db! Hey, you're in New York. I'd think there would be plenty of good breeders out there. No?

April
08-10-2006, 11:35 PM
dont hold me to the boy..bit..lol. lemme know if "he" lays eggs. lol
my friend kerry in oz..got a very nice rt. she named her "April". guess what happened to dear april? she turned into a he. lol.
she also had a fish named jack..and brew..and cary..and rod . LOL. Jack turned out the biggest boss of the tank..
trailers are good..they are quite nice. just makes them fancier .

used2bBubbles
08-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Oh, no, won't hold you to anything.

Yea, I've had a Jack that turned into JackieO, Elvis that turned into Elvira, and lots more. It's just kind of fun to see how it turns out.

aussiejas
08-11-2006, 01:29 AM
WOW!!! IM GOING FOR SOME WORMS RIGHT NOW!!!!

Timbo
08-11-2006, 07:39 AM

have you thought of the moral consequences of that statement?

used2bBubbles
08-11-2006, 09:21 AM

(hmmmm. I think I should get a percentage of the amount of sales that will increase due to my actions......:D)

used2bBubbles
08-11-2006, 09:22 AM
have you thought of the moral consequences of that statement?

HA HA!!!! Good one, Tim! That started my day off with a good laugh! Thanks!!!! :D

used2bBubbles
08-17-2006, 06:25 PM
dont hold me to the boy..bit..lol. lemme know if "he" lays eggs. lol

Just checked on my cobalt and guess what! He's a SHE! She is in the process of laying her eggs on the sponge filter! Oh, what a shame I don't have a mate for her.

She had been shimmying lately but I didn't see any other indications that she would lay eggs. I'll post some pics...

used2bBubbles
08-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Here she is!

used2bBubbles
08-17-2006, 06:56 PM
she's so proud

used2bBubbles
08-17-2006, 06:57 PM
and..

used2bBubbles
08-17-2006, 06:58 PM
who needs a cone when you've got a sponge filter!

Kenny's Discus
08-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Hmm Kathi...lonely female laid eggs by herself huh? I wonder if she'll make "double runs" and fertilize them also?:D (j/k)

It's time for you to go "buy more blackworms" if you know what I mean! Congrats regardless.

:-)
Kenny

AmberC
08-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Wow Kathi! She must be very happy! Very cool!!!

Amber

used2bBubbles
08-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Thanks, Kenny and Amber. I'm so excited, even though nothing will come of these eggs. I wish she could fertilize her own....boy, would that change the way we live!!

By the way....I DID go buy more worms! Yesterday I went back and while I was waiting for the worms, I looked up and none of the discus looked half as nice as this one. But then she didn't look that spectacular until I got her home. The tank is in a dark room with poor lighting...Much as I'd like to, I'm not buying any more discus.

In fact...my BD pair are really acting lovey dovey. Haven't seen THE dance, but I think it's coming.

Wonder if I could mate the male BD with the cobalt. The BDs have the bad eyesight...would that definitely carry over? Probably only a chance of NOT being carried over, huh?

Kindredspirit
08-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Wow Kathi! She is so pretty isnt she? I love her! Good for you woman;)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

used2bBubbles
08-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks, Marie! :)

used2bBubbles
08-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Today she is still by the sponge, guarding her eggs. :( Poor thing. I really don't want her eating the eggs...my angels do that and it's so hard to get them to stop. So while she was visiting the other end of the tank, I whipped out the sponge, squeezed out the water and eggs and put it back in. I moved it and put a plant in a different spot, so hopefully she won't figure it out.

Now I need to find her a male! If my BD male didn't have bad eyesight, I could put them together, but that bad eyesight would be passed on, wouldn't it?

IceDiscus
08-18-2006, 12:51 PM
GREAT CATCH. It had to be devine :D

used2bBubbles
08-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks, Ice. Yea, I will say I got lucky when I found this beauty, and once she is out of QT I will see if I can find her a male.

Kindredspirit
08-18-2006, 01:38 PM
If my BD male didn't have bad eyesight, I could put them together, but that bad eyesight would be passed on, wouldn't it?

umm......new thread? Wld definitely be worth finding out Kathi ~ cuz if it isnt passed on .....ya know?

M ~

used2bBubbles
08-18-2006, 01:42 PM
umm......new thread? Wld definitely be worth finding out Kathi ~ cuz if it isnt passed on .....ya know?

M ~
Oh, no, actually it is probably one of the first I ever posted here. It was when I first noticed my BDs not being able to see the food. That was around May I think...it's here somewhere.

pcsb23
08-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Now I need to find her a male! If my BD male didn't have bad eyesight, I could put them together, but that bad eyesight would be passed on, wouldn't it?
Kathi, in short yes most likely it would, not necessary to all of the young but enough. You are right not to breed from the BD's.

The cobalt is very nice btw, like the colour lots. Itmay be a tadge behind in growth, but now (s)he has laid eggs, further growth may be harder to come by. But feed her well with lots and lots of good clean water and you never know.

I don't know... you ladies! you go out for BLACK WORMS and come back with a BLUE FISH ~ not even close!! well I suppose you can always get by with the time honoured "Oh I've had it ages dear":D

Kenny's Discus
08-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Kathi, in short yes most likely it would, not necessary to all of the young but enough. You are right not to breed from the BD's.

The cobalt is very nice btw, like the colour lots. Itmay be a tadge behind in growth, but now (s)he has laid eggs, further growth may be harder to come by. But feed her well with lots and lots of good clean water and you never know.

I don't know... you ladies! you go out for BLACK WORMS and come back with a BLUE FISH ~ not even close!! well I suppose you can always get by with the time honoured "Oh I've had it ages dear":D

:D :D :D :D :D

I totally agree with Paul...it's not even close LOL.

Kenny

used2bBubbles
08-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks, Paul and Kenny, for your replies.

Paul, you confirmed what I was afraid would be the case. Such a shame, because the BDs are very nice looking fish. But I do not want to inflict poor eyesight on any fish, so I will have to find another male. They don't have sperm banks for discus, do they????? :p

And as far as we ladies going in to buy BLACK worms and coming out with BLUE fish....well, at least I bought the black worms. Could have come out with just the blue fish!

Thanks, guys! :D

Kindredspirit
08-18-2006, 06:27 PM
They don't have sperm banks for discus, do they?????

That is hilarious!!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_72.gif

Kenny's Discus
08-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Yes they do have sperm banks for discus Kathi. Matter of fact I have 1 here at my place...but it's gonna cause you 3 arms + 4 legs!:D

Kenny

used2bBubbles
08-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Yes they do have sperm banks for discus Kathi. Matter of fact I have 1 here at my place...but it's gonna cause you 3 arms + 4 legs!:D

Kenny

LOL!!!! Ok, I'll send my husband and my youngest son over right away. How soon can I get that sperm?

Kenny's Discus
08-18-2006, 06:39 PM
LOL!!!! Ok, I'll send my husband and my youngest son over right away. How soon can I get that sperm?

It depends on how soon I receive your 50% down payment Kathi; which is 1.5 arms + 2 legs...:D (j/k)

Kenny

used2bBubbles
08-18-2006, 07:13 PM
It depends on how soon I receive your 50% down payment Kathi; which is 1.5 arms + 2 legs...:D (j/k)

Kenny

Ok, I guess you're forcing me to act sooner than I expected. Let me get the chainsaw out of the garage and maybe by tomorrow I'll have the limbs ready to ship. UPS ok???? :D

Kenny's Discus
08-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Ok, I guess you're forcing me to act sooner than I expected. Let me get the chainsaw out of the garage and maybe by tomorrow I'll have the limbs ready to ship. UPS ok???? :D

I prefer DHL/Fedex overnight though...I'm not worrying too much about the whole chicken legs:D but it's the 1.5 arms that bothers me if you were to ship them to me using UPS ground. LOL

Kenny
(don't mean to hi-jack yours Kathi but you're giving me no choice here lol)

used2bBubbles
08-18-2006, 08:57 PM
(don't mean to hi-jack yours Kathi but you're giving me no choice here lol)

No problem, Kenny! It's been fun! :D See ya around....