PDA

View Full Version : Fertilize ratio

diamond_discus
08-11-2006, 01:25 PM
My discus pair spawn twice this past month. Both time the female would lay around 200 eggs. However, most of the eggs were not fertilized and I got only about 30 wrigglers both time. Is this normal ? Or is it because the male is too young (about 8 months old) ? water condition ? too much water current during the fertilized process ?

pcsb23
08-11-2006, 04:36 PM
No its not normal, should expect most of the eggs to be fertilised. It could be a number of things, the male seems to be very young at 8 months so that may be one, too much current also, though I have had them fertilise a full batch in a torrent, most likely the male being young or the water being too hard or a combination of the 2.

diamond_discus
08-11-2006, 05:33 PM
I don't have a RO unit. I only use tap water, with Discus Buffer and Softener Pillow. Maybe that's why ....

pcsb23
08-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Maybe... measure you GH and KH, then we'll know. BTW the softener pillows are next to useless, save your money, time and effort and don't bother with them.

AADiscus
08-11-2006, 09:15 PM
I would say all the above. I have noticed with different strains it varies on the males fertilizing at an early age. I would bet it is your case right now. (young male) But you never know. Give him a little while. He will eventually get there or find another male.