PDA

View Full Version : Question about TDS

etr63
08-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Hi All
I have a pair that has started to spawn again. I am going to place then in a 29 gal in the next couple of days. In the past when I have had fish spawn the eggs have always fungused over. I use the aquarium pharmaceuticals test kits and get readings of GH 7, KH 1, PH after ageing 7. Would a TDS meter tell me more in reguards to the need to mix RO with my tap water? Or is it soft enough for breeding. I know that there is alot of variables that can come into play here. I just want to eliminate a water hardness possibility. If the experts think my water is soft enough based on the above readings I will try meth blue on the next spawn.
Thanks in advance
Earl

etr63
08-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Hi All
Nobody has any opinions? I only have 4 hrs to order the TDS meter I saw on ebay. Is it a good thing to have? Would the TDS meter give me a better reading about my hardness? Or does the readings I get from my test kit say my Water is soft enough to breed in? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Earl

LizStreithorst
08-13-2006, 12:50 AM
Buy it. The best meters are made by Hannah IMO. For breeding you want a conductivity of around 120.