PDA

View Full Version : i got 2 questions

Kobe
08-14-2006, 02:50 PM
hey guys ........ i got 2 questions.....first if i have a uv filter in my aquarium can i mix discus from different sources ? or quarantine them for less time like a week or 2......and the other question is that i live in a hot area....so our house is very cold.....does that affect discus...i plan on having 2 heaters in the tank so does the outside air affect the tank in anyway(the temperature is stable)

oodi
08-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Hi Kobe,

I wouldn't recommend using a UV Filter in lieu of quarantining for a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks. But that's my opinion.

As for heating the tank... the heaters will keep the tank up to the temp you have them set to. How hard they have to work to do that depends on the temperature difference between the tank and the outside air. I don't know what you keep your thermostat set at, but I can't imagine it's more than about a 10 degree difference from the tank, which should not be a problem.

Judi
:)

pcsb23
08-14-2006, 04:30 PM
I agree with Judi, UV does not replace a proper QT procedure, by all means use the UV but don't substitute it for good husbandry.

The discus won't acre about the outside temp so long as they are nice and cosy in their tank. 84-86F (29-30C) is a good range to aim for.