PDA

View Full Version : Grading Discus

BobB
08-16-2006, 02:30 PM
I was cruising one the sponsors Discus availability list and there were some discus graded A and a few graded AA. I guess the discus graded AA are a better quality am I correct?

chompy
08-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Yes you are right. But just because someone says you are getting AA doesn't mean you will receive AA discus. This is why I don't like ordering online unless I know the vendor is honest.

Kenny's Discus
08-16-2006, 02:42 PM
I was cruising one the sponsors Discus availability list and there were some discus graded A and a few graded AA. I guess the discus graded AA are a better quality am I correct?

Yes Bob on paper grade AA is supposed to be better quality than grade A. Some say it's wrong to grade discus this way but I have no comment on that. Also keep in mind that if those are imports, it's usually the exporters/breeders who do the grading rather than the importers. From what I'm seeing most importers would just follow these grades and sell them as such. JMO

hth,
Kenny

Elcid
08-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Hi Bob:

Just check out the different grades that Frank sells to determine the various qualities of his discus only. i.e. Frank's competition grade fish will be better than his AA grade fish which in turn will be better than his A grade fish. Hmm, I don't think Frank sells any B grades. I believe these are the three grades of fish he's importing.

HTH,
Sandeep

Tony_S
08-16-2006, 03:28 PM
My take on how it SHOULD work...NOT how it does work...

Show Grade = Only possible to grade adults or near adults.
'A' Grade = The best of the best for juvenile discus.
'B' Grade = Juveniles with minor defects.
'C' Grade = Culls

'AA' or 'AAA' grade= horse crap...No such thing. Its a sales gimmick made up by the Importer or exporter.

Ive heard the excuse quite a few times in the past....well, that's what the exporter/breeder had them labeled as, so that's what I sell them as!

:confused:

SOOooooo...in other words....you got screwed...so now your gonna screw me so you don't lose any money?:confused:

Tony :inquisitive:

08-16-2006, 03:41 PM
I think all discus should be grade AA, don't you care about how those other discus that don't make grade A feel?!!! It's just not fair!! Just kidding, I'll go kick my own a$$ now!

White Worm
08-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Not to mention that one persons idea of grade is not the same as the next. I think its all (what Tony said! lol). Everyone should realize you take a chance whenever you order sight unseen so order from trusted source. If you pick them out in person, doesnt matter...there is noone to blame but yourself. How does anyone distinguish the difference between A AA AAA AA1/2? A seller is trying to make you think you are getting something better so you will pay the price. The seller should be selling high quality discus period. Why import A if you can get AAA? Dont do it if you cant afford it or sell them. There is no way to tell how they will turn out (many variables) anyway until they do so grade @ juvenile size is worthless. Doesnt matter who the parents are. Moral of this story is that there are some trusted vendors here that will sell you quality and you wont have to pay out the wazoo for it. Do your research first and get plenty of references. The best ones will take care of you and any issues that come up.

Rod
08-17-2006, 06:55 AM
right on Tony.