PDA

View Full Version : books

discusIA
08-17-2006, 03:01 PM
I am a newbie. What books on discus do you recommend? Are there any books which show all of the varieties discussed on this forum?

Thanks for your input.

ShinShin
08-17-2006, 04:42 PM
In spite of what you might hear to the contrary, everyone ought to have at least several good discus books on hand, as well as a book or two on disease. There are many books available, some with good "how to" info, and some that are more like coffee table books.

I've only started it, but Heiko's book looks very promising. Yeng's 2nd edition of Penang Discus is good, as is **** Au's Back to Nature Discus book. The late Jim Quarles has two good books released. Jack Wattley's "Discus for the Perfectionist" offers many breeder's responses to a series of questions posed by the author. Mayland's "Adventures with Discus" is informative. There are several Asian books besides Yeng's that are very good. Soh's Naked Truth is just one of them.

I subscribe to the line of thinking that everyone ought to have read at least two good discus books even before they buy discus and not rely on forum folks to raise their discus for them.

Mat

LizStreithorst
08-17-2006, 05:17 PM
In spite of what you might hear to the contrary, everyone ought to have at least several good discus books on hand, as well as a book or two on disease. There are many books available, some with good "how to" info, and some that are more like coffee table books.

I've only started it, but Heiko's book looks very promising. Yeng's 2nd edition of Penang Discus is good, as is **** Au's Back to Nature Discus book. The late Jim Quarles has two good books released. Jack Wattley's "Discus for the Perfectionist" offers many breeder's responses to a series of questions posed by the author. Mayland's "Adventures with Discus" is informative. There are several Asian books besides Yeng's that are very good. Soh's Naked Truth is just one of them.

I subscribe to the line of thinking that everyone ought to have read at least two good discus books even before they buy discus and not rely on forum folks to raise their discus.

Mat

Thanks for the reading list, Mat. I will order those that I haven't read. As far as Heiko's book (I too am just starting it) I enjoy the details of the collecting but I find the book to be largely be a celibration of Heiko Bleher.

Liz

Timbo
08-17-2006, 06:04 PM
as is **** Au's Back to Nature Discus
lol gotta luv that %$#@& swear-filter, it took out the author's first name which is D_ick

April
08-17-2006, 06:18 PM
i fixed the first name.. just put a period inbetween ..and its ok.
i have most of the books..including discus health by undergasser. gotta get that heiko bleher one..still. they are worth having..but i agree with shinshin di.ck au's book and quarles are good for beginners basic care etc.

LizStreithorst
08-17-2006, 08:04 PM
i fixed the first name.. just put a period inbetween ..and its ok.
i have most of the books..including discus health by undergasser. gotta get that heiko bleher one..still. they are worth having..but i agree with shinshin di.ck au's book and quarles are good for beginners basic care etc.

April, Fixing the first name is not the problem. The problem is with the mods here. How can it be that they are so without sin that they don't see that the majority of the members here think that Simpily's censiorship pollicy is a joke?

Liz Streithorst
Fowl River AL

chompy
08-17-2006, 08:25 PM
This site is huge, the mods have a very hard job. What ever makes it easier on them I'm all for. It's no huge deal anyways.

Kindredspirit
08-19-2006, 06:34 PM
I enjoy the details of the collecting but I find the book to be largely be a celibration of Heiko Bleher.

Liz

I had heard that Liz! Just recently ~ Or I read it ~ I will have to think about that one ~ I guess that the author can talk about himself .....apparently it was a bit much?

Seems to be a popular consensus tho :confused:

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

Kindredspirit
08-19-2006, 06:39 PM
April, Fixing the first name is not the problem. The problem is with the mods here. How can it be that they are so without sin that they don't see that the majority of the members here think that Simpily's censiorship pollicy is a joke?

Liz Streithorst
Fowl River AL

Liz ~ this is probably mostly my fault ~ using a word that has been in our family forever .....

But when someone complains.......The Mods must take action ~ and for this I apologize ~ to everyone ~ Incl people with names such as Dick ~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

pcsb23
08-19-2006, 06:50 PM

Liz Streithorst
Fowl River AL
Liz, ok I give that censoring a well known and respected authors first name is, well silly, but first off there are minors who use this site as well as more mature (moot point in my case :)) people. They and some older folk do not, and probably should not be exposed to naughty words on a site dedictaed to discus. If I was Mr. Au then maybe I would be miffed, or maybe I would just wet myself laughing!

As for being
so without sin well maybe we should share a glass of wine or two....;) ok, ok I'll behave now!

btw, it wasn't your fault Marie, and thats a fact.

As for HB's book, well I for one am glad he talks about his experiences, after all it was him that did it. Personally think its an exceptional read. Is this for newbies, well why not, will it teach them how to care for their new charges, probably not. If I was to recommend only one book then it would probably be Penang Discus by Shaifullah Yeng. Andrew Soh's book is really good too.

btw I think the short form of Richard now works ok :)