PDA

View Full Version : Not new to Discus but need advice

Daffyduck
08-18-2006, 08:52 AM
I have a 47G tank and have kept Discus for a number of years but they have been adult or semi adult.

Now I want to start off with Juveniles I know the recommended feeding regieme is 4 times per day but what do people who work do how do they fit it in ? I can probably feed them at most 3 times per day and plan on changing 20% of the water obv I will syphon off the left over food after 40 mins so it is not left in the tank and it is bare bottom tank.

Input is appreciated all my water perams are fine I just wondered what experiences/difficulties or soloutions other keepers have had/resolved

Thanks

08-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Your probably ok with 3 times per day or you can get an auto feeder to supplement to 4 or 5 times per day. The more water you change the better they will do so keep that in mind

Carol_Roberts
08-18-2006, 12:54 PM
We use automatic eheim feeders - sold online thru several sources like www.petsolutions.com cost is about $45

Daffyduck
08-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Thanks have just looked into the automatic feeders is there anything else I need to be aware of - I have a HMA filter mainly due to the fact my water is ideal for discus and it has small traces of chlorine which the Carbon filter removes ..

The only problem I have is that I have limited space so run the water through the HMA and have a length of piping that comes from the outlet direct into the tank now I know that some say that I shouldnt run the cold water direct into the tank to be honest I have never had issues with disease over the 6 yrs I have had discus but is there a way round maybe heating the water before it goes into the tank that is space effective. over here in blighty everything is smaller than in the USA... I do not have the space to hold the water in any kind of storage in order to heat it.

So has anyone got any bright ideas .......

Alight
08-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Some use drip systems quite effectively. That way, the water comes in slowly enough that the temp never varies, and still you get 100% water change per day.

You will need a drilled tank or another type of controlled overflow system to do this. I don't think it will be too difficult or expensive from what I've seen on this site. Take a look at the DIY section for ideas on how to do this.