PDA

View Full Version : Confusion regarding UV sterilizers

triazole
08-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Hi all,
i have been keeping freshwater fish for about 2 years, and finally feel ready to keep discus. i haven't encountered a fish so enchanting. However (there's always a catch), i also haven't encountered so much conflicting information on a single species of fish!
anyways, i wanted to buy a UV sterilizer just to lend me a hand in this perilous (:D) task. i have been looking at the gamma 8W sterilizer for a 55g tank. it mentions a max flow rate of 600gph for parasite control, and 1100gph for bacteria control. from what i have gathered so far, any flow rate below 600gph would be enogh to zap both parasites and bacteria out of my tank. so i'm about to select a XP3 (max 300gph turnover) filter for the tank.
please let me know if i'm making any mistake.
Thanks.

dandestroy
08-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Not ite sure that I'm understandind what you're asking to "unconfused " you but lets try.

Longer the water and its content is exposed to the UV, the more its going to be sterelized.

so yes a s filter output samller than waht you're Uv is asking is just better.

but again your filter should in average change your total water content 4 times per hours.

Some people don'T put their Uv system on the filter line, but instead buy a water pump dedicated for the uv system only

triazole
08-19-2006, 11:04 AM
thanks dandestroy...i just needed some confirmation about my line of thinking.

Dissident
08-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Your logic is fine.
Something to consider too, the XP3 is rated 300gph without media in it.
If you are getting a UV that will slow the flow of water. You might want to consider a 2nd filter for the tank. It doesn't have to be anything big. On my 65gal I found an XP3 and a jebo 828 did a good job. The Jebo 828 only ran me $40USD on ebay and I am glad I added it to the tank.

What type of tank is this going to be? BB/planted/substrate? Do you plan on doing daily WC on the tank?

A lot of people find UVs are not necessary, but don't get me wrong it is a nice piece of equipment to have.

mickeyG
08-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi triazole

I have a 50g and use a coralife turbo twist 9w rated for 100-200 gph flow (says for tanks up to 125g) and it got rid of a terrible case of green water in about 3 days. Not very scientific but ..... And believe you me, I tried everything before I finally broke down and bought the UV!) I have likewise had no other bacterial or protozoal problems yet (knocking on wood as he speaks).

The other thing is that these "parameters" or "numbers" you see all over the place should generally be viewed as "falling somewyere on a continum", so while perhaps an 18w UV will kill more bacteria etc, the 9w will still be helpful although perhaps less effective. Or if the filters flow is x instead of x+, the effectivness would be less etc.

Also - oftentimes, less could actually be better!

Michael

triazole
08-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the info dissident. i'm fully aware of decreasing flow rates as the filter houses more media and they become clogged over time. however, i'll be maintaining a BB tank with a prefilter over the intake of the XP3. So i'm hoping the flow would be somewhere around 200gph, to give me a 4X turnover of the tank volume per hour. In case that's insufficient, i'll add an AC70 (AC300), since i'm a fan of the AC line and have been using them since i got into the hobby.
about the discus -
i plan on getting them in the 2-3" range and growing them myself. i'm debating between asking my lfs to get some discus (mixed strain is all they'll get) or ordering them online from a reputed breeder. the water is very hard in my area...and my lfs seemed to be certain they'd die without RO water. but i plan on doing daily WCs, and together with the UV sterilizer, pulling it off....:)

triazole
08-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Michael, i was looking for someone using a 8-9W bulb in a tank aroung 50g...and you just gave me that someone!...thanks....drsfostersmith.com is having a sale, and i'll run along and order some stuff....yippeee.....

Dissident
08-19-2006, 03:13 PM
where are you from there might be breeders/hobbiest breeders in your area.

triazole
08-19-2006, 03:34 PM
unfortunately in my area i know of no one that breeds them...i still have to set up and cycle the tank...so i guess there's time yet...

mickeyG
08-19-2006, 09:33 PM
I looked on the map and it looks like you are probably 3 1/2 to 4 hours drive to Baltimore Md. Discus Hans is somewhere near Baltimore and so is Peter Thode of Gwynnebrook Farms - cool guy and a neat setup. That is a full day round trip but if you can't see the adults you want to buy in person, and you like to drive for fun, it would probably be worth it when you buy. I don't think Discus Hans sells directly to the public anymore but he might if you asked him nicely?

Michael

triazole
08-20-2006, 01:29 PM
i slept over your advice and decided not to be too hasty...i'll get the discus that my lfs would bring in and try to grow them...if i suceed, then i'll try my hands at keeping more expensive fish...:D ...as always, money is a constraint when you are a student...

Kap
08-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Triazole,

You may find your lfs more expensive and with lesser quality fish than what you can get from a breeder, dollar for dollar. As long as you are going to do the work to give quality care to your discus anyhow, why not phone a local breeder and see what you can come up with? Chances are you will get nicer and healthier fish. I saved alot going through a breeder, and feel the extra effort I made was well worth the time investment. Just my opinion, of course....

--kap