PDA

View Full Version : Feeding time question

swinters66
08-19-2006, 10:41 PM
The past 2 nights Ive been watching my discus after I feed them. They will go around and pick and graze all over...one usually tries chasing the others away. My biggest discus however, always seems to be breathing heavily, almost gasping. Then maybe an hour later, his breathing is normal again. Is this because they are swimming around more, eating, and possibly getting chased off by the greedy one? Other than me noticing that, everything else is fine and normal. So, I was just curious.

Marinemom
08-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Hmmm...can't help you there. I haven't encountered this with mine. Maybe the one discus is just out of shape.lol! No really, if he acts normally other than when he is eating I would say just keep an eye out to see if he is getting sick and be ready for action. Also make sure you keep up with the water changes. I'm sure someone else will come along that can help you more.

Diane

Marinemom
08-20-2006, 01:45 AM
Swinters66

O.K. I just read somewhere on this site, I think in the sickness and disease section of this site that labored breathing could be caused from not enough oxygen in the water and also it could be a water quality issue with either too much nitrite or nitrate in the water. Either way it does not sound good and would require immediate attention. If I were you I would check your water paremeters and go from there. It is possible that a water change is in order. I know that discus like super clean water and the more water changes you can do the better of your discus will be. I think you said you have a 40 gallon tank. What kind of filter are you running on the tank? Usually if the filter is working properly and efficiently, it should provide enough airation and oxygen as well as surface aggitation to keep things going at a healthy level for your fish.

So I thought I would just throw this out there for you so you can keep having happy and healthy discus.

Diane

P.S. What is the temperature in the tank? Higher temps. deplete the oxygen level in the tank.

Timbo
08-20-2006, 06:06 AM
the symptoms you are describing are entirely normal. after a good feed, many discus will appear to be breathing more rapidly for a short period. as long as the fish's "breathing" rate returns to normal in a hour or so, i wouldnt worry too much

Tony_S
08-20-2006, 08:32 AM
the symptoms you are describing are entirely normal. after a good feed, many discus will appear to be breathing more rapidly for a short period. as long as the fish's "breathing" rate returns to normal in a hour or so, i wouldnt worry too much

yup...Beth feeds to such a degree that the WHOLE TANK of fish breathes like they've just run a marathon! After a good burp and a fart....they're all back to normal...:D

Tony

swinters66
08-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Yep, this morning...all is well...they are all breathing normally. I had done a WC yesterday morning, I run 2 filters on my tank (whisper 30 and an aquaclear). I am going to get my water checked today (sundays are me and my husbands fish store day). I do water changes every other day, like clockwork.

I know there will be a pecking order with these guys, like I said one discus chases the others around when the food gets dropped. I watch...and all 4 eat, but after a few seconds, this discus decides that ALL the rest of the food is his...greedy! So, that's why I was curious about the change in one's breathing...out of shape or stressed by the greedy guy!

Thanks everyone!!

Marinemom
08-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Glad to hear that they are all doing fine. Keep up the good work.

Diane

Andrew Soh
08-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Hi 66,

I think that particular discus is showing his dominance.......so as to tell the others to "get away..these are all mine"....like showing his strength.

Unfortunate for him, the rest don't bother as there are many of them discus ...big and small...and they can easily make a steal....so they come in and work out their own activities...chasing the more submissive ones around while stealing from the big guy.

Once the feast is over and there are no more food......the big fellow is disinterested to dominate.

Just my thought,

Andrew:angel:

AADiscus
08-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Sometimes you will also notice that when they over eat they will breath heavy also. Just like Tony said
After a good burp and a fart....they're all back to normal lol